What are you Cooking the Week of January 22, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 22, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I made meatballs (not Italian style) and had it with rice and broccoli.

On the mid day news they said the country's largest egg producer profits are up 600%. So it seems that the big increase in prices isn't all due to bird flu, etc. It looks like they took a page from the oil companies playbook.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Profits being up by some percentage doesn't tell you much unless you know the pattern of profits over time. Could a year ago have been way down due to the destruction of flocks caused by bird flu?

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Today I made a pot of venison chili.

chocomouse
          Participant

Dinner was pizza: my homemade salsa, hot Italian sausage, mushrooms, black olives, green peppers, onions, cheddar and mozzarella! Really good.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had spaghetti for supper.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had chargrilled chicken breast, rice and steamed cabbage.

RiversideLen
                Participant

There's snow on the ground and more in the air, so I'm making a little soup. I saved most of the bones from a few weeks ago I roasted a chicken. I'm making a broth from it now, with celery, carrot, onion, garlic, peppercorns and a bay leaf.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I think we're going to miss the storm that's coming through Nebraska, looks like it went north of us again.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight we had taco salad for a nice change.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We're having tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches. We were going to have it a couple of days ago but we were out of cans of tomato soup, and I've never found a recipe that I like for making tomato soup from scratch.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Breakfast for dinner tonight: sausages, blueberry pancakes, and maple syrup.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I actually made tomato soup for lunches on Thursday. I used a 28 oz. can pureed tomatoes, along with broth and evaporated milk. I can post the recipe, Mike, if you are interested

I made mashed potatoes this evening to go with the leftover turkey and gravy, and we also microwaved more of our frozen green beans from the freezer.

Over the last few days, we have had a total of about 6 inches of snow, and it is cold enough for it to stay. We are sitting snugly at home and are glad not to have to drive in it or on the liberally salted roads.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Sure, I'd like to see the recipe.

We got a sprinkling of snow, but the temperature fell through the floor, it was 8 degrees when we were coming home from the theatre tonight. (We went to see "On Your Feet", the Gloria Estefan musical.) The forecasted high for Sunday is 11. Good day to stay home, bake some cookies, and watch the NFL playoffs.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

I like Ina Garten's recipe from her cookbook, Foolproof. It uses a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. Her recipe calls for orzo and saffron, neither of which I use. It also calls for a tablespoon of kosher salt - since I use Morton's, I use 2 teaspoons. I also add 1 teaspoon sugar to cut the acidity and 2 teaspoons of Italian Herb mix (Penzey's) in place of the saffron.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I posted the recipe, Mike.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.