What are You Cooking the Week of January 22, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of January 22, 2017?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made a pot roast, with potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms in the crockpot for Sunday dinner. We will have leftovers for part of the week.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I'm starting out the week with roast beef leftovers.

Italiancook
        Participant

I made a pot of Broccoli Soup that will last a few days. I'm second guessing what to cook the rest of the week.

BevM
          Participant

Yesterday I made a vegetarian lasagna which included spinach, mushrooms, some thinly sliced zucchini and carrots plus all the usual ingredients (sauce, cheese, etc.). It was made for my vegetarian granddaughter and she enjoyed it. I also made a small loaf of french bread to go with it. We, who are not vegetarian, didn't really miss the meat in it.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

So I wanted to try Central Market's Andouille sausage (their own recipe) and without any casing. Cooked it w/Brussel Sprouts - I think they used too much smoked paprika or I'm just not used to that flavor. It seems almost too dry for my own personal taste. Also roasted a sirloin pork so we could eat that as a leftover later in the week. Also did some freezer cooking - made shrimp and pork wontons and gyoza froze them for future lunches. Then last night baked a half shank ham - been craving the bone to make soups and will portion it out so I can wrap and freeze for future meals. Maybe it's just me or maybe the way I baked it - but it came out saltier than I remembered as a child. Of course, my mom had boiled it too.

BevM, have you tried Trisha Yearwood's black bean lasagna? It's totally vegetarian and she makes a pretty good vegan ricotta. I tried her recipe but instead of making it in one big pan, I opted to roll my lasagns and have it portioned out like that. Works great for small simple lunch meals.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I roasted a chicken Sunday with lemon and garlic. This morning (school delay after a Nor'easter dumped some "Wintry Mix" on the road) I made chicken fried rice for lunch. I made it up as I was going and so it has Mediterranean vegetables mixed with basmati mixed with some sauce we had in the fridge called "soy vey" so it is a multi-cultural dish. I'm trying to give my kids something other than sandwiches, burritos, and/or quesadillas.

Tonight is hamburgers and I am not sure what I will make the rest of the week.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I pulled out of the freezer the frozen remains of two turkeys and one chicken (mostly bones with bits of meat). I am making a big pot of broth. Some of it will be frozen, but some will be used to make soup, with the Bob's Red Mill Vegi-Soup mix (combo of lentils, split peas, and barley). I add ground turkey, carrots, celery, red bell, pepper, and mushrooms, as well as Penzey's Herbs de Provence. Sometimes I use Bouquet Garni, but I am out of it and need to order more.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Will gave me Ina Garten's Foolproof for Christmas and I've been wanting to make something out of it that was healthy enough so I could enjoy it. Last night I made 1770 house meatloaf. It made a LOT of meatloaf. We're going to slice it up and freeze some of it. There was a recipe for a garlic sauce to serve with it which was delicious, but . . . I probably won't make it again and is separated as it cooled. I had to whisk it over heat to emulsify it again and then it separated again. We were amused last night because we were talking about the $20 meals for 2 people from Blue Apron. I splurged on ground veal and neither the pork nor the ground beef were on sale. Even with the added ingredients I didn't have on hand, I spent around $20 for 3 pounds of meatloaf which will easily give us 5 or 6 meals for 2. So even with my splurge, it's a good deal.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Not much cooking here this week. I did make shrimp alfredo using a bottled sauce and tossed in a container of asparagus from the freezer/garden. And tonight we had meatloaf, which will make quite a few sandwiches next week.

I tried one of those microwave potato bags - any else ever tried that? Supposedly, it yields lighter, fluffier baked potatoes, more like oven-baked. We didn't notice much difference.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Thursday, I used leftover pot roast to make a beef-vegetable combination. I sautéed mushrooms and red bell pepper in grapeseed oil, added broccoli florets, and then strips of beef. I thickened the broth from the pot roast with ClearJel, heated it, then poured it onto the vegetables and meat, and added sliced green onions right before serving it with brown rice. My husband really liked it.

So for $10 for a 2 1/2 pound roast, we've had four meals (and a guest was at one), and there is still a serving left over. While that does not count the vegetables and the rice, I would say it still comes to under $20. I agree with Cwcdesign: Blue Apron has nothing on us!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Fried rice is my kids new favorite. I used a left over roast chicken and we had it two nights this week. It will be a good base for us as we can make it as a base and then add different proteins.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Today I'm making bottom round with onion gravy. I started the onions an hour before adding the meat, so they should get nicely caramelized.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Made a big pot of Brunswick stew which I shared with 2 other families and shared the pound cake I baked also.I love to cook and bake and with just the two of us I have to share.My husband's taste for sweets has changed....yep...but not mine,he'll usually eat one or two slices of cake ,pie or whatever I've cooked then that's it for him.But I keep them pots and pans rattling :).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.