What are you Cooking the Week of February 18, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of February 18, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I spent about 15 minutes browsing the keto books at Barnes & Noble yesterday, but so far I haven't bought any. Yeah, there are a lot of keto-friendly recipes on the net, but I'm also interested in adapting the recipes I've already been making to be more keto-friendly. I've also been looking at the recipes in Peter Reinhart's gluten-free sugar-free baking book.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I bought that book back when I was working and baking for my office, and an office member was trying gluten-free. There was also a person who needed to curb the sugar. However, I only made a single recipe from the book, and that was to mixed reviews. I also ended up giving the sugar substitute I had bought to the person who needed to curtail sugar. I could not stand the taste.

For me, cutting the saturated fat does decrease my cholesterol, but only, alas, by about 10%. I've maintained the low-saturated fat diet, both because I want to take a lower dose of the statin, and because since starting the statin, I do not seem to do well with foods that are too high in saturated fat.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

As I recall I tested about two of the recipes in that book, but then I had work projects that kept me from doing any more of them. The ones I tried were also kind of a mixed bag.

I've got Splenda, and while I use it in tea I really haven't liked any of the baking we've done with it. As for monkfruit/erythritol (corrected), the erythritol makes things taste 'cool' and we didn't like anything I made with it. I'm not sure pure monkfruit would be an improvement, it is said to have some aftertaste.

I haven't done enough with the allulose to know if I like it or not, the custard I made using it was OK, could have been a little sweeter but I'm not getting any odd aftertastes.

I think my coconut flour is long past its 'best buy' date, I may get some more if I keep experimenting with baking.

For now I'm concentrating on the savory end of things, where I don't have to play around with artificial sweeteners.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

One of the keto books I looked at has to be the worst organized cookbook I've ever seen.

The top of the page has the title of the book, but none of the recipes have titles on them, though I think they're all just one page long. I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to find a recipe in it.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I had the last of the rotisserie chicken and fruit.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We're having steak, mushrooms and salad.

chocomouse
                Participant

Our dinner tonight was cavatappi with sliced sausage, pepper and onion chunks in marinara sauce, and rolls that I made this morning. The sauce was a meal we had in December, with extra put into the freezer for busy days like today.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made yogurt on Tuesday. I would have made it yesterday, but I ran out of milk and wanted to wait for our regular shopping trip this morning.

For dinner tonight, we had the rest of the yellow pea soup, the Scottish scones, and the applesauce, as well as a slice of a small loaf of wholegrain pumpkin bread that I pulled out of the freezer.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a pork chop, scalloped potatoes and brussels sprouts.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Shopping today and got another rotisserie chicken and salad.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Leftovers, the same as yesterday.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For Wednesday's dinner, I used leftover roasted chicken breast to make a stir-fry with farro cooked in frozen chicken/turkey broth, carrots, celery, red bell peppers, mushrooms, and peas. I included the kale my husband has been growing on the porch with a grow light. It was not a lot, but it added to the taste and nutrition. I seasoned the stir-fry with ½ tsp. sage and ½ tsp. thyme.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Dinner tonight was meatloaf, baked potato, and mashed butternut squash.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I had a nice Ribeye steak and a baked potato ,yummy and so tender.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had a beef stir fry on cauliflower rice. Aside from the cauliflower rice not absorbing much of the liquid, it was hard to tell it wasn't rice.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.