What are you Cooking the week of February 16, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of February 16, 2020?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Wednesday's dinner was leftover roast chicken thighs, cut-up potatoes tossed in olive oil, sprinkled with a little salt, and roasted at 400F for an hour, and a mixed greens salad with carrots, mushrooms, and onion on mine.

BakerAunt
      Participant

My husband is a dedicated lunchtime sandwich eater, willing to eat the same kind of sandwich every day, perhaps because it was an easy lunch for him to take to work, and in retirement, his habit has not changed. I also like sandwiches, but even when I was working, I preferred to shake up the routine, and now that the fillings I can eat in a sandwich are limited, branching out every now and then is welcomed to me. On Thursday, I made another one of my throw-together entrees. I started by sautéing onion, celery, and carrots in some of the oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes before adding two cloves garlic. I stirred in cooked garbanzo beans with a little broth from the freezer and then some chopped sundried tomatoes. I added 8 oz. cooked wholegrain penne rigate (Kroger makes a good one.), then grated some Parmesan on top. It works well, although I’d prefer chicken to the garbanzos, as that is how I used to use up a roast chicken when I was single. It’s a good lunch, and I have enough for the next few days, by which time I’ll be ready to have a tuna or an almond butter-banana-honey sandwich again.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had rotisserie chicken stewed squash-n-onions and green beans with red potatoes.

chocomouse
          Participant

Pizzza!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My 40 pound box of chicken backs came in today, so I started a 12 quart pot of chicken stock with about 5 pounds of backs and bagged the rest up in 3-4 pound bags that went in the freezer for future batches. I was going to make something for supper once the stock got going, but a client had a computer problem and I wound up spending several hours on it.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I cooked steamed cabbage.left over rice with tomato gravy and fried cubed pork.I also made coleslaw and macaroni salad for sides later on.

chocomouse
                Participant

We had tuna fish sandwiches with soup from the freezer, split pea and broccoli-cheddar.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Dinner on Friday night is beef stew. I follow my usual recipe and double everything but the beef. This time, I deglazed the pan with some red wine before adding 5 cups of water. I seasoned with 4 Tbs. rehydrated Penzey’s dried onion (still avoiding fresh for my husband), ¾ tsp. garlic powder, 2 Tbs. Penzey’s beef base, 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce; dash of ground allspice; ½ tsp. Penzey’s Tsardust blend; crushed rosemary, 2 tsp. sugar, 2 bay leaves. After two hours, I removed the bay leaves, added a cup of water, red potatoes, small carrots, halved mushrooms, and 2 Tbs. tomato paste. After another 45 minutes, I added frozen green peas, and near the end. I thickened it with ¼ cup Clearjel first mixed with 1/3 cup water. It’s one of my best stews ever. We had it with heart-shaped cornbread muffins, because Valentine's Day should last all month.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Dinner tonight was whatever we had available that sounded good. I had some bread and cheese, and some peas, and I may have some other leftovers.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Tonight we're having potato-leek soup using half of the chicken stock I made the other day, the plan is to make French onion soup on Monday with the rest.

I made croutons from one of the baguettes I baked the other day for tonight's soup, the other one I sliced into rounds that will go on top of the onion soup.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had breakfast for supper tonight,grits,eggs and sausage.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Tonight we had Shepherd's Pie. We've been in a deep freeze the last few days, 15 below the last two nights, and up into the 20s during the day. Just thinking about casseroles and soups makes me feel warmer.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.