What are you Cooking the Week of December 5, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 5, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Frozen eggplant Parmesan that we froze this summer - made from our own eggplant

BakerAunt
      Participant

We are having cold weather—in the 20s and 30s—so for dinner on Wednesday, I made Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Kale, based on a recipe from Cook’s Illustrated. I replace the Swiss Chard with kale, and I had organic kale from a farmer’s market vendor from last Saturday, which is delicious. The butternut squash, a commercial grocery purchase, was not particularly sweet, which was disappointing, but the meal still came out well, which my changes to the directions. We have enough for two more meals—just in time for the expected 50F temperatures on Friday.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I had some dental work done yesterday so I'm on a soft diet for a few days and had some soup for supper tonight. Earlier today I made some custard.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made yogurt on Thursday. Dinner was delicious leftovers from last night.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm making a big pot of chicken stock, I should wind up with at least 10 quarts of it, some of which will be used to make chicken soup, probably tomorrow.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I made a Spicy Sesame Chicken and Ginger Rice from Half Baked Harvest last night. It is a new favorite.

I used rice flour instead of AP to coat the chicken which was a really good move. I lowered the temperature to bake from 475º to 425º and the chicken was perfect in the same amount of time. Next time I will double the sauce. In the comments, someone mentioned that they made the sauce ahead of time and put it in a jar in the fridge - this is a great idea for meal prep. The rice was nicely seasoned and worked well with the chicken. I will also cook more broccoli next time.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Cwcdesign your chicken dish sounds good.

I made fried chicken,leftover turnip greens and potato salad.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

It was a bigger batch of chicken stock than I had realized, with about 8 pounds of backs and 5 leg quarters, so I got about 14 quarts of stock (before reducing) and I should get another 4-6 quarts from the remouillage (second wetting).

I think I'm going to try making chicken soup with Chinese pulled nooodles (lamian) using these instructions: Lamian Pulled Noodles

RiversideLen
                    Participant

On Wednesday I made a small (one pound) round roast. I salted it on Tuesday and roasted it at 250f until the temp orobe reported 135 degrees. It's good and tender but next time (if I remember) I'll take it out at 130f. I had leftovers yesterday and have enough left for tomorrow's lunch. Tonight is going to be pasta with an Italian sausage.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made turkey soup, with a thick, creamy base, similar to the insides of a chicken pot pie. I sauteed celery and onion, and added Penzey's Sunny Paris, frozen mixed vegetables and Dutch noodles. With it we'll have onion-wild rice rolls. We'll have leftovers for a couple of meals, and I still have about 2 quarts of turkey stock left.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Tonight's soup was a major disappointment. I don't think I put in enough vegetables. The lamian noodles didn't pull very easily and they were gummy after they were cooked, with kind of a strange taste, probably from the nutritional yeast and they probably needed more salt. If I try making them again, it'll be with a different recipe.

The chicken leg quarters that I used were probably too old, the chicken tastes freezer burnt and rubbery, the latter may be due to overcooking.

I saved the broth from the soup, I thought it was OK after adding some more salt and pepper but am throwing out the noodles and the chicken. I think the rest of the stock is OK, though, so I'll get it ready for the freezer. This is the first thing I've made in a long time that we basically are throwing out.

We did have a nice salad from the Aerogarden tonight, a mixture of black seeded Simpson, rouge d'hiver, romaine, buttercrunch and a little spinach. I hadn't picked it in a few days and picked a big bowl tonight, I suspect by the time we've used it up it'll be time to pick more. We'll probably be eating salads nearly every night for the next few months. Hope we don't get tired of them. (I'm doing the harvesting this time around, I think my wife got tired of doing it last time and stuff started to bolt, which made it bitter.)

Italiancook
                          Participant

Mike, as I recall, America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country made those noodles. You can probably find their recipe on You Tube . . . or their website, of course.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I'll look for that, I did find another site with a recipe that just used AP flour, salt and water, but you roll/stretch the dough out into sheets and cut it into strips. I think I'd rather stick to my pasta roller and the semolina egg noodle recipe we're used to.

Semolina is lower in glutenin than most flours, or higher in gliadin, if not both. Gliadin is the one that leads to extensibility for pasta. I may try using it on a test batch, sometime.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

No cooking here tonight,I picked up a half smoked chicken plate from a local BBQ place and we shared.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had chili from the freezer tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.