What are you Cooking the Week of December 25, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of December 25, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Christmas day starts a new week, so your holiday meal can go here.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For Christmas dinner, I made Pork Loin Roast with Barley, Butternut Squash, and Kale. We also had homemade applesauce. The roast came from a regular farmers' market vendor, and while it was more expensive, the quality impressed me. The kale also came from our farmers' market, as did the garlic I used. The butternut squash was one of the odd big ones that grew from a seed that was supposed to be honey nut. It had a very long, thick neck--about 12 inches, and a smaller bulb at the bottom where the seeds were. It cooked deliciously. If we had room, I'd be tempted to save some seed and plant it again.

Dessert was a pfeffernus for me, as we decided to cut the pumpkin pie at lunch.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I got an incredible deal on a tenderloin at Harris Teeter. I ordered Angus which is their middle tier of quality and they prepared and tied it for me. I paid $32 plus change for 4 pounds (7.99 per pound, usually 17.99). I slow roasted it a la Ina Garden and it was perfect! I made bérnaise sauce, mashed potatoes and green beans. We did not have dessert, but we really enjoyed our dinner and will continue to enjoy it. Tonight I will make a green salad to go with leftovers.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

That was a very good deal on tenderloin.

Our son, David, bought about a 4 pound prime rib at Fareway Beef (the best butcher shop in town IMHO), and cooked it sous vide for about 24 hours then put it in the oven to brown the outside a bit.

It was quite good, he didn't use as much rosemary as last year, so it wasn't overwhelmingly ROSEMARY this year.

We also bought a 6 ounce filet for Diane, because she's not fond of prime rib.

We also had roasted Brussels sprouts with Dijon mustard and maple syrup, hash brown potato-cheese casserole, green bean casserole (DGBC) and trifle for dessert. Nobody went hungry!

We'll probably wait until tomorrow, but David has been asked to make his potato-leek-baked potato soup. We'll use the leeks that Diane grew in a pot on the back patio this year.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

For Christmas Day we had Baked chicken, dressing, mixed turnips and mustard greens and sweet potato souffle with marshmallow topping ,desserts was lemon supreme pound cake and coconut pie.

Tonight I made a big pot of Brunswick stew and sent the neighbors over a large bowl.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had fried cubed pork,rice and gravy with garden pea salad.Still coconut pie and pound cake for dessert.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My son is making his take on potato-leek-baked potato soup tonight.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made a huge pot of chili - we each had a bowl for dinner, but the rest will go into the freezer.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We finished up the leftover pork loin, butternut squash, barley, and kale combination that we had for Christmas dinner, so I will have to cook tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we're having leftover Brunswick Stew, so good and warming to your tummy.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I made Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce for dinner on Wednesday. The cod we found at Aldi's is especially good. I also made Buttermilk Coleslaw to go with it, using the smaller of the two farmers' market cabbages that I still have.

The temperature went above freezing today, for the first time since last Thursday. Temperatures are supposed to soar into the upper 40s tomorrow. The lake froze, but with the warmer temperatures and wind, it may not last. We still saw a few ice fishermen out, and we also saw a couple of ice boats near the shore.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had kind of a fend-for-yourself dinner, some had bagels, some had soup, some had chili.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had a chicken breast, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and carrot, with rice.

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had boneless pork chops and parsnips, butternut squash, sweet potato, Brussel sprouts, and onion, all roasted on one pan.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

For dinner on Thursday, I made my Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach-Dijon Mustard Glaze. I used 1 ½ cups zucchini that I froze back in October. Although it changes texture, it works in the meatloaf. I also roasted the last two honey nut squashes that I had from the farmers' market. We had coleslaw as well. Earlier in the day, I made yogurt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.