What are you Cooking the Week of August 20, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 20, 2023?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Well, the best laid plans have gone awry. We expected to pick up my younger bonus son and his family at the South Bend airport, but he called this morning to say that their plane out of Colorado had been delayed, so they would miss their connecting flight. They were re-routed and were to arrive this evening. Then, he called back at noon to say the flight had been cancelled due to the airline's not being able to replace a part. They are now re-scheduled to arrive tomorrow evening. The upshot is that they have lost a day and a half they would have had here.

That also meant that I had to scramble dinner plans for tonight and tomorrow. I roasted the chicken thighs that were to be Thursday's dinner, since the meat needed to be cooked. We will warm up the leftovers for Friday's dinner. I also roasted small potatoes, carrot chunks, and chunks of a flying saucer-shaped squash after coating them with vinegar and some Penzey's Mural Seasoning. We had more of the broccoli salad with it, but there is enough left for it to be part of tomorrow's Sloppy Joe meal.

chocomouse
      Participant

We had burgers -- beef for my husband and turkey for me, with corn on the cob.

I also made a batch of zucchini dill relish. I was trying to make something similar to what I buy in a jar at the grocery store - a sweet relish with dill flavor. But this turned out to be "dill pickle" flavor -- good, for dill pickles, but not what I am looking for. I'm thinking something more like a bread and butter pickle flavor, with lots of dill added. Does anyone have a recipe that might work?

cwcdesign
        Participant

Last night I made peanut noodles with my favorite no cook peanut sauce. I sautéed chicken and broccoli to mix in. Tonight - leftovers!

BakerAunt
          Participant

After we picked up our guests from the airport on Thursday, I made a quick dinner of Sloppy Josephines, which we had with leftover broccoli salad and sweet corn--the best we have had this year.

Chocomouse--I looked online for zucchini relish and found some recipes. One poster had adapted her recipe from the Ball Canning book, so that is one place to look.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Turkey sandwich with tomato.

chocomouse
              Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt. I got the recipe for Zucchini Dill Relish through Google, and I will look there again. The relish I made is good, tastes like a dill pickle, and was really good on my turkey burger the other day.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Chargrilled chicken with Caesar Salad.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I may have to try the zucchini relish, but without the garlic. I've got a monster I picked the other day, nearly 5 pounds. Tomorrow may be a good baking/cooking day, the high is supposed to be in the mid 80's with rain possible. Today it hit 102, about 4 degrees above the forecasted high. (I also need to make more semolina bread tomorrow.)

Tonight we had burgers on the grill, with some 4 bean salad and some potato chips.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

To go with leftover roasted chicken thighs, and with sweet corn on Friday, I made my cherry tomato, green beans, and goat cheese salad. I have learned that steaming the green beans rather than cooking them in boiling water produces a superior result.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For Saturday dinner, I roasted a small chicken, which we had with the rest of the sweet corn and leftover cherry tomato, green beans, and goat cheese salad. Our grocery sometimes has leftover uncooked chickens that were not needed for rotisserie chicken and sells them at a discounted price (99 cents per pound). I have found that these chickens are particularly delicious.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had sandwiches on fresh bread. I had a tomato sandwich, Diane had peanut butter and blackberries.

IMG_1380

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Chargrilled chicken and Caesar Salad with a peach for dessert.

Diane's looks good!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.