What are you Cooking the Week of August 20, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 20, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Definitely time for cool foods here.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

It's going to be a hamburger and a large salad.

chocomouse
        Participant

Grilled chicken thighs, corn on the cob, and cole slaw.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, I roasted a small chicken. We also had Cherry Tomato Sauce with Vegetables (yellow squash, green squash, mushrooms, red and purple bell pepper), and Rotini the recipe that I wrote about the week of August 6. As we were eating, I thought that it did not taste as good as I recalled. Then, I realized that I had forgotten the splash of balsamic vinegar and added it. The balsamic vinegar makes all the difference! We also had the last two ears of sweet corn.

I have posted the Cherry Tomato Sauce with Vegetables and Rigatoni.

Earlier in the day, I made yogurt.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Just 2 hotdogs for me.

navlys
              Participant

I made pork marsala with sweet vermouth as I did not have marsala. I guess I should say I made" pork sweet vermouth"! I did have mushrooms that were on their last leg. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes. Good recipe. I stole the recipe from Salt&Lavender's blog.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I had a leftover stuffed pepper with rotini pasta.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I had a turkey sandwich with an ear of corn.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We had leftover roast chicken and the Cherry Tomato Sauce with Vegetables and Rotini.

Our garden is producing a lot of beans, so I blanched and froze three 1 ½ pint containers on Monday. It will be nice to have these in the fall and early winter.

After dinner, I tried a new recipe, the Best Broccoli Salad, by Holly Nilsson at Spend with Pennies:

I used her suggestion to substitute Greek yogurt for half the mayonnaise in the dressing. I used low-fat mayonnaise and Chobani nonfat Greek yogurt. The recipe says salt and pepper to taste, so I settled for ¼ tsp. salt and some freshly ground pepper. I used some sliced green onion rather than the red onion that my husband cannot eat. Instead of regular bacon, I cooked five slices of turkey bacon and crumpled it in. The salad is supposed to rest for a day, so we will try it at dinner tomorrow.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Dinner tonight was quesadillas; I love this meal to use up leftovers, and it's quick and easy to make and to eat. We had a small pork chop left from a meal last weekend which I thin-sliced, along with sliced onions, peppers, salsa and shredded cheddar, on tortilla shells.

I've had what the physicians think must have been a spider bite, although they don't see a bite hole or any external marks/indications. It's probably from when I was pulling weeds in the flower beds last Wednesday. It led to an infection in my left hand, which is my dominant hand. My hand was swollen, very painful, and I couldn't use any of my fingers or my hand. I've not been able to do anything for 4 days! Now, an antibiotic is working, the swelling and pain are decreased, and I can actually hold a knife/fork again - gently. I am so grateful to the medical staff who diagnosed and treated this. If you get an unexplained, sudden swelling, get medical help immediately - it's likely a serious internal infection.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had BLT's with an Italian Heirloom tomato that may be the best tomato we've gotten from the garden this season. Nearly a pound!

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Turkey sandwich and an ear of corn.

Chocomouse I 'm glad your healing now that's some serious stuff a spider bite.I had a cousin almost lost a thumb from that...he was sent home with an IV drip at home.

I went to get the mail out of mail box last week and a huge black widow was in it.I went back with wasp spray and covered it good - didn't kill it I had to get it out and smash it.....this week I looked in there was a scorpion about 4 inches long just laying there ...My sister in laws box is right by mine and they never get any of that in theirs...Go figure.I go prepared with a stick in hand and look before I reach in there.

BakerAunt that Broccoli Salad looks great.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I needed protein to go with leftover Cherry Tomato Sauce with Vegetables and Rigatoni, and with the broccoli salad I made last night, and it needed to be a one-night dinner on Tuesday, since my younger bonus son, daughter-in-law, and the soon to be four-month-old grandson arrive tomorrow for a six-day visit. I found a boneless, half chicken breast at the grocery this morning. I briefly soaked it in buttermilk, then coated it with Panko that I had first toasted for 5 minutes. I sprinkled Penzey's Justice blend on it, then roasted it. There is even a little left over for me to have for lunch tomorrow. That broccoli salad that I wrote about yesterday is excellent with the changes I noted. My husband loved it, so I will be making it again.

Joan--definitely try the broccoli salad! Yum! Also, I now am picturing you going to the mailbox, prepared to do battle, as were the knights of old!

Chocomouse--I am so glad that you are getting better. Some years ago, a friend's son had a similar, unknown spider bite, which needed emergency care.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

BakerAunt enjoy your bonus family and grandson.

Tonight I had a hamburger with sliced tomatoes and dill pickles on the side.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had tacos/nachos for supper tonight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.