What are you Cooking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Something cool for supper, probably.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, to go with leftover roast chicken thighs for dinner, I made the Penzey’s Summer Quinoa Salad that I have made several times this summer. I did my usual reduction of olive oil to 1/3 cup, used the Penzey’s Sandwich Sprinkle. This time, I added a chopped red bell pepper from our garden, and more cherry tomatoes, since they needed to be used. I also added ½ tsp. Penzey’s dried parsley. After tonight, the salad will be a nice hearty side to tomorrow’s dinner entrée

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We picked the first cantaloupe from our garden and had that with some salami.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had breakfast for supper...sausage,eggs,rice and biscuits.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I made Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach-Dijon Mustard Glaze to go with the quinoa salad that I made yesterday. I added chopped red bell pepper from our garden to the loaf and used a zucchini from the farmers market. I am glad that there is plenty for tomorrow, as well as more of the quinoa salad, because I sprained my right ankle at the start of my walk this morning when my foot slid on some loose gravel on the very poor county road along which we live. I have iced it, elevated it, and rested it, but it was a challenge hobbling around the kitchen, although I’m using a walking stick and sitting on a stool while working. The swelling has decreased somewhat. I'll see what it looks and feels like tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

BakerAunt sure hope that ankle is better tomorrow.

Tonight I fried a boneless chicken breast,baked sweet potato and garden pea salad.

navlys
                Participant

My neighbor brought over some crab soup. It is red and delicious.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Baker Aunt, I hope the sprained ankle is not keeping you from your appointed rounds!! I'm sure you've figured out ways to continue moving about your kitchen.

Our dinner tonight was Italian sausage with spicy brown mustard on split focaccia which I had made earlier, and corn on the cob. I have plenty leftover for lunch tomorrow.

I also made another batch of refrigerator bread and butter pickles. These are really good. I learned a new trick: do not boil the cucumber slices with the pickling brine. Just put the sliced cukes into a mason jar, pour the hot brine over them to fill the jar, cover, and refrigerate when cool. They stay nice and crisp.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had cubed steak,mashed potatoes & gravy with creamed corn.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Chocomouse--the galley kitchen is coming in handy for moving around with support. However, my injury has shown just how complicated it is to get to some items. I wish that I had known my cabinets were coming with HALF shelves in the bottom ones. It just never occurred me that the shelves would not be full.

chocomouse
                        Participant

BakerAunt, half shelves are a terrible waste of space! After 30 years in our house, my husband built slide out drawers in place of both the top and bottom shelves in my biggest pair of cabinets. We thought about having those when we had the house built, but they were quite expensive, and having splurged on high-quality cabinets, we needed to cut some of our costs. Now, I can fit more stuff in the cabinet, and easily see and retrieve what I need. Maybe you could consider replacing your shelves with drawers.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

The problem with half shelves is that if you put tall stuff in front of the half shelves, which is, I guess, the point, you can't see much less reach the stuff below the half shelf without moving everything in front.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

To go with the rest of the Turkey Zucchini Loaf for Wednesday dinner, I roasted cut-up potatoes, tossed in olive oil and tossed in Penzey’s Bavarian Seasoning and sprinkled with a bit of salt. I also used fresh green beans and tomatoes from our garden to make “Green Beans in Tomato Sauce,” a recipe from Betty Crocker’s International Cookbook (probably from about thirty years ago). It is simple, Garlic and onion are sautéed in olive oil, then some cut-up tomatoes, seasonings, and green beans, simmered for about 18 minutes. I had to delete the onion, for my husband, but I did use 2 tsp. Penzey’s dried onion. I replaced the basil, which my husband dislikes, with an equal amount of tarragon. The changes worked well.

Supposedly, half shelves (which I did not know I was getting!) allow people to see what is in the back on the bottom. However, I was planning on putting long items on lower shelves, so it would not have been an issue for me. I may consider pull out drawers for a couple of the cabinets. They do, however, mean a loss of room on the sides.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had hamburger steaks with fries.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

For lunch on Thursday, I tried a Bacon and Tomato sandwich with turkey bacon. I had already tried Canadian bacon and deemed it unacceptable. The slice of turkey bacon is better than the Canadian Bacon. It will never be the same as regular bacon (and I've not ruled out a week of real bacon and tomato sandwiches), but it was a lot closer. The drawback is that while low in saturated fat (0.5 g saturated fat), it is highly processed and high in sodium at 200mg per slice, which is why I only ate one slice.

I might have gone for real bacon, but due to my ankle, my husband accompanied me into Kroger. He suggested that if I'm dissatisfied, next time I can use a (mostly) nitrate-free bacon. It is apparently too much to ask to find a low-sodium one in my part of Indiana.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.