What are you Cooking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I didn't cook anything -- but my husband cooked his own bacon for a BLT. I had a tomato sandwich, on whole wheat-semolina bread.

chocomouse
      Participant

I forgot - I did cook today! I made Pudding-wiches; I used to make these often during the summer when my children were young. It's instant pudding mix (kids preferred pistachio, I prefer chocolate with peanut butter stirred in) using 1 1/2 cups milk, allowed to set up for 5 minutes and then a dollop spread between 2 graham crackers and frozen for a couple of hours. They need to sit for about a minute before eating, otherwise they are too hard to bite into. This is a nice cold summer snack, a change from popsicles or other frozen treats.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My husband cooked pork tonight to go with the leftover roasted potatoes and the green beans and tomatoes, while I sat with my feet up.

RiversideLen
          Participant

BakerAunt, I hope you're feeling better and will be fully mobile soon.

On Monday I made pasta sauce with ground chicken and Italian sausage. On Tuesday and Wednesday I had it with pasta. Tonight I had the last of it with toasted sandwich buns. I'm going to have to rummage through the freezer for tomorrows dinner. I've also been having salads with my homegrown tomatoes, they have been pretty good. Picked one of my peppers today and sliced it into the salad.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Chocomouse your pudding -wiches sounds good.

Tonight I made a small pot of chili we had that on top of hot dogs with cheese.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Friday, I made another batch of yogurt.

I also cooked a cup of red bulgur in 2 cups chicken broth that I pulled from the freezer. We had some of it with the leftover green beans and tomato and the leftover pork.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I've been wanting fish so I went to Publix to pick up a few things and got some grouper.I cut the large fillet in fingers and fried them,we had cheese grits,fresh coleslaw,hush puppies,and I made cocktail sauce with ketchup,worcestershire sauce,lemon juice and horseradish it was really good.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

That sounds delicious, Joan.

Yesterday I made a pork loin roast on the BBQ, had a large salad and noodles with it. I will have leftover pork for several days.

This morning I made pancakes (been wanting them for a while), half buckwheat, half White Lily self rising flour, also threw in a half cup each of oats and almond flour. Half buttermilk and half milk. Pancakes turned out nice and light and fluffy, real good. Have enough left for tomorrow's breakfast.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For Saturday’s dinner, I used leftover pork to make stir-fry with buckwheat noodles, what are probably the last of the snow peas from our garden, as well as one of our red bell peppers, carrots, celery, green onion, mushrooms, broccoli, and the drippings I deglazed from when my husband cooked the pork. We have enough for dinner again tomorrow, which is great, as my ankle is still healing, and I will need to bake bread tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made stir fry with leftover bbq pork, mushrooms, carrot, red bell pepper and zucchini from my neighbor's garden. Had it with a wild/brown rice mixture.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I made pizza dough this morning so I made pizza for me,sausage,pepperoni,mushroom,onion,green peppers,pickled banana peppers and black olives with cheese.My husband had soup and a livercheese sandwich.I'll have pizza for lunch or breakfast for several days.

Len your pancakes sounds good.

Take care of that ankle BakerAunt.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

That's the way to top a pizza, Joan!

I think it will take at least two weeks, and possibly longer, for my ankle to heal. I am starting some mild rebab exercises--following Bob and Brad on You Tube, who call themselves "the best physical therapists on the internet--in our opinion." (I got some of my osteopenia exercises from them.} The duo is humorous and informative.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Your pizza sounds delicious, Joan, but what I really want is your husband's livercheese sandwich. When I was a kid, my mother would send me walking to the nearby ma & pa-owned grocery store to buy her livercheese. To her chagrin, I also liked it and wanted some. I don't know if her reluctance to share meant it was expensive, or if she was on a limited budget and wanted it only for herself. As an adult, I found a local deli that sold it & made to-go sandwiches. I enjoyed stopping in and buying a livercheese sandwich on light rye with light mustard with tomato & lettuce. It was a pleasure for many years until the owners retired & the building was torn down for lack of sale.

Since Covid began, I've been eating way too much chocolate. I don't drink, so . . .

Saturday I made chocolate chip pancakes for dessert . . . oh, I mean dinner. This morning, I served them for breakfast. My husband wouldn't eat any for dinner, but he enjoyed them for his breakfast.

I've been trying to find a ranch salad dressing recipe similar to Hidden Valley's. I refuse to use MSG, so I may never hit the exact notes. A while back, I tried an Internet one that used some fresh herbs. It was creamy, and it smelled like Hidden Valley, but it didn't pack much flavor the next day. A friend gave me her ranch dressing recipe, but I found that to be like my Dill Dip recipe in taste. Saturday, I used the mayo and buttermilk quantities in my friend's recipe and adjusted the herbs to be all dried and a combination from the two recipes. I'm pleased with the result, except I used 1/16 teaspoon cayenne, which is too much. Original recipe called for a pinch, and I should have stuck with that, using a small pinch. But it doesn't have the Hidden Valley deliciousness.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Italian Cook--I like the Penzey's Buttermilk dressing combination. I use low-fat mayonnaise and buttermilk or yogurt. I've also used the seasoning directly on chicken and on potatoes before roasting.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Italiancook ,my uncle use to run a small grocery store also and had the livercheese that he sliced,man it was so good.Hoop cheese in the big rounds too.

Chocolate chip pancakes sounds like they hit the spot!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.