What are you Cooking the Week of August 13, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 13, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably doing some kind of stir fry for supper tonight here.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Stewed squash with lots of onions and a hotdog.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Yesterday I brought home 2 pieces of salmon and cooked them yesterday, so I have one to put on my salad tonight. I also prepped for an Italian chopped salad - link was from Brown Eyed Baker - that I will toss together after work tomorrow.

I managed to get my walk in this morning and then an early run to Harris Teeter. Came home and puttered. I noticed that I had left the screen door open, so I went out to close and it was really hot. As I sat down to eat at noon, I decided to check Accuweather. It said it was 94 with a "real feel" of 122 and 110 in the shade! Two hours later it was down to 116. Currently 91 with real feel of 107. So glad I didn't have to go out the rest of the day.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had brats on fresh buns and corn on the cob.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We wound up doing tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches, I'll do the stir fry tomorrow.

Tomorrow my wife is back to work, she has summers off at UNL. Our whole schedule changes when that happens.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We had the last two roasted chicken thighs and the rest of the Cherry Tomato, Vegetables, and Pasta.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I had the last of the squash,sliced tomatoes and two hotdogs no bread.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

On Sunday I had my brother over and made strip steaks and brats on the grill. Had it with a large salad. Leftovers for tonight.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Tonight's stir fry was so good that Diane is actually taking some for lunch tomorrow, something she almost never does. I usually wind up eating stir fry leftovers for lunch for the next 2-3 days.

This one had some locally grown red pepper, broccoli and zucchini, some mushrooms and the usual list: beef (top round this time), onions, celery, carrots, bean sprouts, pimentos and water chestnuts. I used a little molasses and a small package of beef stock to make sure there was enough sauce.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Your stir-fry sounds delicious, Mike.

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen on Monday, but it was a rainy day, so what better place to be? I began by making yogurt.

I also cooked a pot of black-eyed peas that I had soaked overnight. When they were done, I drained 1 cup of beans and set them aside. I froze two containers of a cup each of black-eyed peas, and a larger container that I will use in a future meal. I used the one cup of black-eyed peas in the Green Bean, Cherry Tomato, and Feta salad that we both love, and that makes excellent use of the abundance of cherry tomatoes and green beans from our garden. We will be having it again, which is why I froze two one-cup containers of the black-eyed peas.

For dinner, to go with the salad, I made Turkey-Spinach loaf. We had it with an ear of sweet corn for each of us, as our neighbors gifted us with more of their corn this weekend. I think this loaf, which I have been making for about a year now, needs more zing. I had to delete the Italian spices, as my husband cannot handle those, but Penzey's Mural of flavor, even with 2 tsp., is not assertive enough. I will try one of their other blends, and perhaps experiment with a tomato glaze.

chocomouse
                        Participant

BLT and LT on rye for dinner - two Amish paste tomatoes, the first from our garden this summer!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had tuna salad on fresh tomatoes tonight. A summer delight.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I had 2 hotdogs,chips with salsa and sliced tomatoes.Mango for dessert.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I had a salami sandwich with tomatoes and dill pickles.

chocomouse
                                Participant

For dinner, we had chicken patties, fresh green, yellow, and purple beans (which turned green when cooked) and zucchini patties. That was a new recipe, and I will be making it again; they were excellent. Shredded zucchini, shredded cheddar, eggs, chopped onion and garlic, and basil. Scooped with a 1/4 cup disher into a buttered skillet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.