What are You Baking the Week of September 26, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of September 26, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

The first Sunday of Autumn calls for waffles!

I made the Cornmeal Rye Waffles, with some adaptations, from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book for Sunday breakfast. I always halve the salt, and I have been using 1 ½ cups of medium grind cornmeal with ½ cup of fine ground and halving the salt. I used 4 Tbs. avocado oil in place of the butter; in the past, I have used 1/3 cup canola oil. I could not get buttermilk, so I used kefir. The kefir worked reasonably well, but to my taste, it left a sour tang in the waffles, which also seemed a bit spongy.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

It was requested I make a carrot cake for my neighbors birthday. I decided to use inspired taste's "Incredibly Moist and Easy Carrot Cake" recipe( on the internet). I liked the fact that most of ingredients included weight measurements. I shredded the carrots in my cuisinart. It was a lot of work and I mistakenly put celery salt instead of cinnamon in the flour so I had to redo. Anyway the taste was good but the texture was way off. It did not hold together well. I then compared the recipe to the one in the frog commissary cookbook and all the measurements were the same except the recipe I used called for 2 tsps. baking soda and the Frog's recipe called for 1 tsp baking soda and 2 tsps baking powder! I should have compared the recipes earlier.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I haven't made carrot cake for a while, but I need to make another batch of carrot vinegar soon, and I'll run 10 pounds of carrots through my juicer to do it, use the juice for the carrot vinegar and use some of the pulp for carrot cake, freezing what I don't use up right away.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked a cold oven cream cheese pound cake today and it turned out great, my oven baked it just right.I'll be taking part of this tomorrow to my sister and we've already gave a lot away to our neighbors.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm sure that your neighbors are rejoicing over your now working oven, Joan! Enjoy your visit with your sister.

On Monday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I'm making rye bread today, my variation of Old Milwaukee Rye from food dot com. I used to make this bread all the time, both as a loaf and as sandwich buns, but I haven't made it in several years. I was thinking about making it my shiny new Dutch oven but I've chicken out, I'm going to bake it on a stone. I was on Youtube and looked at various Dutch oven breads and I'm just not sure about it now, I'm not sure if this is the right recipe for a Dutch oven.

The bread is out of the oven and it looks good, I probably won't slice into it until tomorrow.

rye

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Beautiful bread Len!

chocomouse
                  Participant

At my house, a gorgeous bread like that would be gone by tomorrow!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

That bread is spectacular, Len!

I think that breads that work best in Dutch ovens have a higher liquid content.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Thanks everyone, I see some grilled cheese sandwiches in the near future!

Italiancook
                        Participant

Len, your bread is spectacular! Looks like great grilled cheese sandwiches. Your scoring is beautiful!

Italiancook
                          Participant

This evening, I baked cinnamon muffins. I used my go-to muffin recipe and added 1/3 cup cinnamon chips with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. I taste-tested three for my dinner. The rest are for a couple breakfasts and the freezer.

For the first time, I used KABC Sparkling Sugar, and I don't "get" the purpose of it. Yes, it looks shiny in the jar, but when I sprinkled it on top of the muffin batter, I couldn't see the sugar. Baked, I still couldn't see the sugar. It didn't make the top of my muffins sparkle. Yes, it added a sweet taste, but it didn't look any different than granulated sugar. Do any of you know what this Sparkling Sugar is used on?

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Italian Cook--Is this the large sugar crystals or smaller ones? I've had nice results with the large crystals. I've also used demerara sugar with nice results.

chocomouse
                              Participant

ItalianCook, I use what is called "Crystallized Sugar" on top of muffins and scones. I usually can find it at TJMaxx, HomeGoods, etc. It doesn't add a whole lot of sweetness, but it does add a nice crunch on the top of baked goods. I made cinnamon scones the other day, with homemade cinnamon chips and ground cinnamon, topped with crystallized sugar - the perfect topping. I keep the sugar in an empty spice jar with medium to large size holes for easy sprinkling.

Italiancook
                                Participant

BakerAunt, the crystals are smaller than the Pearl Sugar.

Thanks for telling me about Crystallized Sugar, chocomouse. I do admire you for making your own cinnamon chips. I imagine they taste better than purchased chips. Do you put cocoa in them? I bought some caramel chips from the store, since technically/medically, I shouldn't be eating chocolate or cocoa. Before I used them I read the ingredient list and found it includes cocoa. I used them, because giving up chocolate in any form is just plain not do-able for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.