What are you Baking the Week of October 3, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 3, 2021?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've been unable to find Pepperidge Farms Bordeaux cookies in the store lately, so I've been looking at copycat recipes for it. I think the Bordeaux cookies are similar to speculoos, but my wife doesn't think they taste the same, and the copycat recipes for both seem to differ, the speculoos have a bunch of spices in them, the Bordeaux ones don't, they're basically a sugar cookie made with brown sugar.

I'll probably make the first batch pretty much according to the recipes, but I'm thinking I might later on try using browned butter to enhance the caramelization flavor notes.

There was a presentation in the J&W symposium last week on Altamura bread, made with 100% durum wheat. I'm going to see if I can create a semolina-based starter to try a version of it.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I remember buying the Bordeaux cookies as an occasional treat when I was in graduate school, needed a treat, but had no time to bake it. I agree that they are not spicy.

On Sunday, I baked my Rye-Barley Crispbread. This time I added 2 Tbs. special dried milk to increase the nutritional value.

I also baked a double recipe of soft oatmeal raisin cookies, from Jenny Can Cook, with my usual changes.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I baked a batch of my rye/semolina rolls with sesame seeds.

skeptic7
          Participant

I did my standard whole-wheat spinach pizza. This is one of my reliable recipes when I want a dish that can warm up easily and has a fair amount of vegetables. I have a little more nutmeg and pepper it it but its still fairly bland.

Italiancook
            Participant

I baked KAF Easy Cinnamon Bread. I don't know if this is still on the KABC website. This bread uses yeast and baking powder. Since I try not to eat baking powder, I used the mixture of baking soda with cream of tartar. I worried that the bread wouldn't rise, because of the time it took to mix, add cinnamon chips & put the sticky, dense dough into the pan. I thought I may have deactivated the baking soda. But it rose just fine.

This recipe calls for 1 rise only. I did that once. Next time, I forgot that rise and went from mixer to pan to oven. I prefer the bread without the rise. It's denser & more cinnamon-y. Now, I never let it rise in the bowl.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made a small batch of the KAF version of Bordeaux cookies yesterday and let it cool overnight, I'll bake some later today.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made Apple Sharlotka today. DH, by mistake, bought MacIntosh apples instead of the Cortland I asked for - so it is mushy, like applesauce. I won't be eating it, but he likes it!

chocomouse
                  Participant

For dinner we had cole slaw, seafood salad, macaroni salad, and a couple of late tomatoes from the garden.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I made a batch of sweet roll dough and made 9 dinner rolls with half and the other half I made cinnamon rolls.I added in leftover mashed potatoes and they were very light and good and used leftover cream cheese icing so I just whipped that back up and it was easy.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I baked the King Arthur buttersnaps (Bordeaux copycat) cookies today. They said 12-15 minutes at 375, the first batch was overdone at 12 minutes, so I dropped the temp a little and baked the second batch for 11 minutes. That was better, but one or two of them still look a little dark on the bottom. I might try 350.

They're darker all the way through than Pepperidge Farms Bordeaux cookies and the taste and texture aren't that close, either. King Arthur has you roll the cookies in sugar with a little salt, I think that makes the cookie too salty on the surface. I'll probably skip that next time.

If I make this again, I think I'll try a blend of white sugar and brown sugar, though another copycat recipe uses dark brown sugar. The King Arthur recipe doesn't use milk, some of the others do. I may also try using just egg white rather than a whole egg.

I stuck a chocolate kiss on some of them after they came out, because I like to eat Bordeaux cookies with chocolate kisses, those were interesting enough I would do that again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.