What are You Baking the Week of May 28, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 28, 2017?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'll be baking for our trip, either today or tomorrow. For those of you starting your baking today, here's the thread.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Monday, in preparation for our trip, I baked my variation on Moomie's Buns as a dozen rolls. I also baked my Cinnamon Oat Scones, and a double batch of Sourdough Cheddar Crackers from dough that I mixed up last week.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I had my second attempt at rye bread. This time, instead of following the recipe I let the sponge sit for about 24 hours instead of eight. The bread had a lot more flavor but absorbed a lot less flour when I was building the dough from the sponge. Perhaps if I need to add extra water to the sponge and/or when mixing the dough with the sponge. I'll try that next.

Also, I followed Mike's advice about stretching the dough before shaping it and wound up with a higher, tighter loaf. I did not use the corn starch glaze this time and the bread looked the worse for it. I also need a tighter seam as it did not fully close.

But it was a step forward since the taste was better and I learned more about making a good looking. good tasting loaf.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Personally, I don't care for the taste of a corn starch glaze on bread, when I glaze rye bread I do it with egg, usually egg white, using whole egg or egg yolk darkens the loaf. (I don't care for the 'Dutch Crunch' glaze on Vienna bread, either.) YMMV.

If your seam isn't closing, you may need (more) slashes to control the expansion of the dough in the desired direction.

The semolina loaf I've been playing with uses a soaker that sits for at least 12 hours and a sponge that sits for about 90 minutes. As you can see from the picture I first posted about a week ago, the internal structure has lots of big holes in it, and the taste has some sourdough-like tang to it, too: Sesame-Semolina bread

I will need to make this bread again in the next week, I've been tinkering with the flour ratios, which affects the amount of water needed, and I need to get final weights so I can post the recipe. I've been weighing this one in grams, converting it to ounces might involve resizing it a bit or using a lot of fractions.

KIDPIZZA
            Participant

Personally, I don’t care for the taste of a corn starch glaze on bread, when I glaze rye bread I do it with egg, usually egg white, using whole egg or egg yolk darkens the loaf. (I don’t care for the ‘Dutch Crunch’ glaze on Vienna bread, either.) YMMV.

If your seam isn’t closing, you may need (more) slashes to control the expansion of the dough in the desired direction.

The semolina loaf I’ve been playing with uses a soaker that sits for at least 12 hours and a sponge that sits for about 90 minutes. As you can see from the picture I first posted about a week ago, the internal structure has lots of big holes in it, and the taste has some sourdough-like tang to it, too: Sesame-Semolina bread

I will need to make this bread again in the next week, I’ve been tinkering with the flour ratios, which affects the amount of water needed, and I need to get final weights so I can post the recipe. I’ve been weighing this one in grams, converting it to ounces might involve resizing it a bit or using a lot of fractions.

MIKE NOLAN:
              Good afternoon. Mike no need to do any fancy math here for what you stated. Just employ my simple formula. 16, oz of anything equates to 454, grams.....check any can of stuff in your pantry for proof. Then "X" 16, oz by this constant 28.35 = 454, grams...then divide 454 by the constant = 16, oz.

Enjoy the day.

~~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I might try an egg wash next time. I want to get the cornstarch right too so there is a choice. Since I'm doing this for people who want to put it into production cornstarch is less expensive but egg was is less labor intensive.

I think I'll make a double batch and then can try different things on different loaves.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I know how to do the math, but I think posting a recipe that calls for 3.56 ounces of flour in one place, 2.36 ounces of a different flour in another place and 2.11 ounces of a third flour in another place might not be one people would be willing to make.

If I adjust the recipe so everything is in 1/4 or perhaps 1/10 ounce increments, I will have to make it once or twice just to make sure that doesn't upset the flavor or texture balance.

I may just post it in grams.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made Austrian Malt Bread instead, I still think it's the best bread for BLT's, and there have been some good local-grown tomatoes at the farmer's markets already.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I baked a big batch of KAF fudge brownies with ganache to celebrate our changing restaurant venues at work. It made so much tab I also took some to the Lighthouse and to Will's job.

My one problem was they said to bake for 40-45 minutes. I baked for 35 and they were ok. I couldn't figure out why they would tell you to bake a longer time when it was in a half sheet pan and the height of the batter was thinner. Next time I'll bake the regular amount of time. They were still good though

navlys
                      Participant

That's funny that you mention brownies. I made some today also and decided to bake them in my toaster-convection breville oven. I didn't lower the 350 temp because I thought 300 was too low but then I didn't know how to adjust. Why can't we take the" thermatemp" of brownies like we do bread?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.