What are you Baking the Week of May 23, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 23, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Challah dough made and divided, I'll roll it out, braid it and bake it later today.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I promised my husband waffles for Sunday breakfast, so I made the Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Rye waffles in the King Arthur Whole Grain baking book. I used 75% medium grind cornmeal and 25% fine ground. As Bob’s Red Mill is no longer selling the fine ground, I am moving toward using the medium ground. I let the batter sit for 15 minutes to soften the cornmeal. I halved the salt and used 1/3 cup canola oil rather than 6 Tbs. butter. We ate the waffles with Chocomouse’s maple syrup. Yum! Our dog, who loves waffles, got little crispy bits without syrup. I froze six for future quick breakfasts.

We were out of bread, so on Sunday afternoon, I baked two loaves of my Sunflower Oat Wheat Bread. (I have posted the recipe at Nebraska Kitchen.) I substituted in ½ cup high-gluten flour (trying to use it up) for that much bread flour and used olive oil. I also reduced the sunflower seeds to 2/3 cup, which my husband prefers. We will cut into one loaf tomorrow, and the other will be wrapped and frozen tonight.

As I had the oven on for the bread, I baked a Blood Orange Yogurt Loaf, a recipe that I adapted from Taste of Home, where it is ascribed to a blog titled “How Sweet Eats.” I replaced 1/3 AP flour with barley flour and used nonfat Greek yogurt, a tub of which I am trying to use up. I only had 3 Tbs. of blood orange juice, left over from the icing I made for the frozen Blood Orange Cake which we have now devoured, so I used 2 Tbs. in the cake and added 2 Tbs. water. I also had no zest to add. The original recipe uses ½ cup melted coconut oil. I have used canola oil in the past, but this time I used avocado oil. I will make a thick glaze tomorrow with the remaining tablespoon of juice.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made an 11-strand Challah and 5 buns (about 60 grams baked weight) with the dough I made last night. Refrigerating scaled and pre-shaped logs of dough overnight works well for rolling out the strands, but next time I'll use a bit more flour so the dough is a little stiffer and not quite as tacky.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Southern Living had a recipe for a cake-y strawberry cobbler. I halved the recipe and it was quite nice and bright. Strawberries were on sale at HT, so it was a good thing to do with some of them.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday I made another batch of maple granola.

chocomouse
              Participant

I baked Coconut-Lime-White Chocolate Chip Cookies, a recipe from Kevin's Closet Cooking. I wanted to use up an aging half package of white chips and a half package of coconut. I used 1 Tablespoon of KABC's Lime Juice Powder for the lime flavor. I added an extra tablespoon of flour, to get the crispy edge-chewy center that I like. These are delicious and perfect texture.

rottiedogs
                Participant

I made a half apple half cherry pie with crumble topping. Neither amount of filling left was enough for pie on its own so I went with half and half to use it up. It worked out okay. I was a little worried it would run together but each stayed on its own half of the pie crust. I would do this again as the crunble was good on both types of pie.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Rottiedogs your pie sounds good I'd never thought of halving the pie in the shell I'd probably mixed them together.Now I've learned something!

skeptic7
                    Participant

I did apple pizza today. One of my favorites but I splurged on a half bushel of Gold Rush apples when the Farmer's Market opened at the beginning of the month so I need to use all my favorite apple recipes.
                      The weather was fine today and yesterday but soon its going to be too hot to bake except in the early morning.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've seen suggestions for a half-and-half pie with a strip of dough down the middle as a divider, but I've never tried it.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I did chocolate walnut biscotti yesterday. Very tasty. I used a fat free recipe and added some espresso powder for more flavor. These are going fast.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

BakerAunt,
                            I'm going to put this here because I don't remember the thread where you talked about Bob's Red Mill no longer carrying fine cornmeal. Guess what - they do, only now they call it corn flour, not to be confused with British cornflour which is the same as cornstarch. It's whole grain, stone ground. I was looking up rice flour for Will to use in his banneton, and decided to research more as he's been looking for finer cornmeal for his muffins.

Then I googled "what is the difference between cornmeal and corn flour" and found this article on Epicurious https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/difference-between-cornmeal-corn-flour-polenta-grits-article

There is no difference, except the size of the grind

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thanks, CWCdesign. I wonder why the customer service person who responded to my email did not tell me that. The person was not particularly knowledgeable, as her suggestions on where to look for barley flour were useless. (Thank heavens for S. Wirth who pointed me to Walmart.com) She did send me some coupons I could use on other BRM items.

BRM is moving toward some prepared foods. It started with some snack bars, and they have now moved on to oat crackers. I was able to taste free samples of the plain ones and the rosemary one. They are very good, but they are also overly salty.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I needed to use up some limes that have been in the refrigerator since late last fall. They came from my lime tree. I have been wanting to have key lime pie. Smitten Kitchen had a recipe a month or more ago, and it looked promising and only required three egg yolks. I searched online and found an olive oil graham cracker crust from the blog Savoring Italy. One thing holding me back was being unsure if my husband can eat this dessert. However, I have two Chicago Metallic four-well tart pans with removeable bottoms. I checked online, and key lime pie can be frozen.

So, on Thursday, I made Key Lime Pie Tartlets. The biggest bother is having to push the graham cracker crust into eight small pans. I followed the crust recipe except that I deleted the optional ½ tsp. cinnamon. I reduced the optional ¼ cup sugar to 2 Tbs. I prebaked the crusts for 6 minutes, which was slightly too long. Next time I will go with 4-5 minutes. I followed the Smitten Kitchen filling recipe except that my limes did not have zest worth using. I was pleased that the filling was just the right amount for the eight tartlets. The baking time for a large pie was 10 minutes. I baked the tartlets for 5 minutes, turned off the oven and let them go another minute. They look quite nice. I will refrigerate them overnight. My husband wants to try one, so we will each have one for dessert tomorrow. I will not put any meringue or whipped cream on top, as we are not fond of meringue, and the whipped cream would really push the saturated fat.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Thursday evening I made the biga for Rosetta Rolls. I read over my notes from my first attempt in October and the suggestions people at Nebraska Kitchen gave me, along with some thoughts that Cass had at the time. Last time I used half Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread flour and half King Arthur AP. This time, I am using all BRM Artisan bread flour.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.