What are You Baking the Week of March 26, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 26, 2017?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Saturday, I tried a new recipe, "Cranberry Orange [Pecan] Bread," from a bag of Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. The original recipe used toasted almonds, but I'm still working my way through pecans from our tree. I made it as three small loaves rather than a 9x5 inch loaf and baked for 30 minutes rather than 45-55 minutes. One loaf stuck to the pan and came out in pieces. I ran a spatula around the sides of the other two and they are fine. I must have missed a spot when greasing that one pan. The finished bread has a pleasant bright orange flavor.

I also baked Pecan Pumpkin Squares, based on a recipe that came out of The Los Angeles Times years ago, where it was attributed to Joan Drake. I've changed it around a bit. The original recipe used finely chopped walnuts for the bottom crust, but I've been using pecan meal for years.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake on Saturday.

Italiancook
        Participant

I have a question about your Texas Sheet Cake, Mike. I have my beloved stepmother's recipe. I've baked it twice, and it never turned out like hers. How soon after removing the cake from the oven do you pour on the icing? I think the reason her recipe doesn't work for me is that I'm not putting on the icing at the proper cake temperature. Thanks!

Rascals1
          Participant

BakerAunt you talk about some good sounding recipes. I baked a Georgia cornbread cake last night it has not cornmeal in it just pecans for the texture.

Rascals1
            Participant

has not got cornmeal in it

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Depends on how much of a hurry I'm in, I usually let the cake set for 4-5 minutes at most. If the cake is still hot/warm when the frosting goes on, the cake compresses a bit, which changes the texture.

I do things to my recipe that most printed recipes don't do.

I grease the pan with butter then 'flour' it with cocoa powder instead of flour. (For a white cake I often use powdered sugar -- baker's superfine sugar if I have it -- instead of flour.)

I use 4 tablespoons of cocoa in a batch of frosting rather than 3. For a 13x17 cake I always at least double the frosting recipe, I've been know to triple it.

I always make sure the butter/cocoa/buttermilk for the frosting gets to a good boil before I start adding in the powdered sugar, that way the frosting is more like old fashioned fudge. Then I keep it on low/simmer heat for a while so that it's fairly warm when I pour it on.

How can you make a 'cornbread' cake without corn meal??

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Mike Nolan.
                Rascals1
                Participant

Its made with pecans and it kind of gives it the texture of cornbread

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Rascals--Would you share the recipe with us? It sounds wonderful.

Rascals1
                    Participant

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/233353/georgia-cornbread-cake/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=12 My daughter gave me the recipe but I found it here. I didn't want to miss credit it.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Not yesterday, but the Saturday before, I made a batch of KAF brownies with the caramel from the Gooey Caramel Brownies that I wrote about before. They were decadent and delicious! I cut them in about 1-1½" squares. A definite keeper. They were my birthday cake for my birthday on Sunday. No other baking last week.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Those brownies sound delicious CWC, Happy Birthday!

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Happy late Birthday cwcdesign.Rascals 1 I'll be trying that recipe ,let you know how it turns out.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thanks for the link, Rascals. I'll put that recipe on my list of ones to try.

Happy belated birthday, Cwcdesign! It sounds like the food and dessert were perfect.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Thank You Len, Joan & BA. It was?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.