What are You Baking the Week of March 26, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 26, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Sunday morning I baked Bran Muffins with dried blueberries. I love a hot bran muffin with butter on it. This recipe came off a jar of Kretschner's Wheat Bran--back in the days when it was hard to find wheat bran at the regular grocery store. I reduced the sugar and oil, and I used a bit of white whole wheat flour and added some flax meal.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

I had a challah class at the temple this morning. It's interesting. This was with adults and they were more nervous about this than the kids. It was funny to see them carefully measuring the length of their ropes. Of course their braids were tighter and loaves prettier but I had enough dough to make six loaves and they only wanted to make three. Add that to the dough I made for the demo in class and I have enough challah for a couple of months (actually three months because Passover starts in a couple weeks).

I made pancakes and waffles this morning. I switched up my recipe which used to be white pastry flour and put in half WW pastry flour. No one complained. My 13 year old ate two waffles at one time and I am not sure he even tasted them he ate so fast. And he is too skinny to buy pants for to boot!

I'm making pizza tonight with my regular dough and a modified St. Louis style crust. It's half WW pastry flour and half bread flour. I subbed in honey for the corn syrup and used two tablespoons of olive oil instead of two teaspoons. I'll let you know how it turns out.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Today I made a vanilla cake from a mix (Arrowhead Mills). I used buttermilk (it calls for regular milk or soy milk) and baked it in a small bundt pan (the half size pan, not the mini one). The cake rose beautifully over the top without any spillover. I topped it with my chocolate frosting flavored with Hazelnut flavor (from The Spice House). It was very good.

Italiancook
          Participant

I made a peach cobbler. Once, I saw a Food Network star -- don't recall which one -- make a peach cobbler using canned peaches. So I put 3 cans of sliced peaches in a square dish & made my usual cobbler topping. Turned out fine, but I prefer it with fresh peaches. I guess I'll try it sometime with frozen peaches.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My mother used to make peach cobbler with canned peaches and Bisquik, and it was delicious.

Fresh peaches are usually better, and frozen peaches are generally better than canned, too.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I remember Kid Pizza discussing this matter with Livingwell (Penelope), but unfortunately that discussion is probably gone with the Baking Circle.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Monday evening, I baked two loaves of Grape Nuts bread because we were out of bread, and this is the bread that my husband always requests.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

This afternoon I baked the Semolina Rye Bread from KAF. While the recipe doesn't call for it, I made a starter the day before using 100% of the rye and water and 50% of the yeast. The rest of the yeast was added to the dough today. The loaf looks good, I'll slice into it at dinner time.

semolina-rye

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    cwcdesign
                    Participant

Looks beautiful Len. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!!

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Thank you CWC, it's very good, I'm happy with it.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Len, your bread looks great and scrumptious. Congratulations!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Thursday, I made the KAF Ultra-Thin Crust Pizza--one pizza crust for each of us to top as we desire. We will have the leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Len your bread looks great!I made Cass/Kidpizza's Yellow Cake today and it is great.Went right by the recipe that is posted on this site.The crumb is so good and buttery,loved it.I wanted just a birthday cake with white buttercream icing and man is it ever good.I made it in 2 -8 inch pans and they stayed flat not all domed up.Looks nice.So I want to say thank you to Cass that's a great recipe.

KIDPIZZA
                              Participant

JOAN SIMPSON:
                                Good morning friend. Thank you for the honorable mention...I appreciate it.

I am glad you liked the recipe & it turned out well for you.

Enjoy the day.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

CASS/KIDPIZZA The cake is even better today.I've had the recipe since you posted it back at the KAF forum.So glad I tried it!I've never folded in the flour like in your recipe but it sure worked.Happy here!I'm 62 years old and still learning all the time.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Joan Simpson.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.