What are you Baking the Week of March 17, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 17, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm going to try making a lower carb version of Irish Apple Cake today. It won't quite be totally keto friendly because I'm using apple pie filling I had in the freezer. (Next fall I'm going to try making a batch with allulose.)

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made Cornmeal Pumpernickel Waffles for breakfast on Sunday in honor of my husband's birthday today. It is his favorite breakfast. (It is also the favorite of our dog.)

Joan Simpson
        Participant

BakerAunt tell your husband Happy Birthday and hope he enjoys his day!You started it off right for him!

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thanks, Joan. My husband chuckled when I read your comment to him.

I made a chocolate glaze which I used for the filling and the topping on Scott's birthday cake. With the filling, I should have used the trick from the original cake recipe and used wooden skewers to hold the layers in place until the glaze solidified. Next time, I will make half a glaze recipe and then stabilize the cake with the skewers before making the other half and coating the cake. The glaze flavor needs a little something, perhaps some espresso powder to intensify the chocolate, or possibly a bit of salt. It also seems to me that Domino powdered sugar has an off taste that I do not recall from using C&H, but I cannot get C&H powdered sugar in my area.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I used the cobbler recipe from the gnom-gnom site with some of my apple pie filling to make something similar to Irish Apple Cake. About 15 carbs/serving, 3/4 of that the apple pie filling.

IMG_0839

These use almond butter rather than almond flour, and they're pretty good, the cinnamon in the apple pie filling really comes through. A little low-carb ice cream went very well with it.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Well, the bagels smelled like bagels, possibly because I used some barley malt syrup instead of a teaspoon of sugar or honey. Texture wasn't really bagel-like, but they served as an adequate platform for corned beef, cream cheese, sauerkraut and swiss cheese.

Shaping was a bit of a problem, I think a little more almond flour would have helped.

IMG_0841

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                chocomouse
                Participant

Today I made arepas for lunch. I put chopped corn kernals in the batter for added corn flavor in addition to the masa harina. When they were finished baking on the griddle, I put two together with mozzarella in the middle. My picky eater grand-daughter even like these.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I wanted something uncomplicated to go with the stew I made for dinner, so on Sunday night I stirred up the dough for Rosemary Focaccia and refrigerated it until Monday afternoon when I baked it. The recipe comes from the United Healthcare site. I followed the recipe except that I used regular rather than white whole wheat and for the AP flour, I used King Arthur's Italian-Style flour. It bakes in a 9 x 9-inch pan. It went well with the stew, but it seemed a bit dense to me. If I bake the recipe again, I will add a tablespoon or two of water.

I think that the developer sees this recipe as an entry-level for people who are curious about baking their own bread to be healthier, so they may have favored a less wet dough.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I wanted something to go with corned beef, so I put together a rye bread recipe: 1/3 cup of rye flour, 1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten and the rest flax and oat fiber. Under 5 net carbs per slice.

Decent structure, didn't rise quite as much as I had hoped, next time I'll use a smaller loaf pan. I may tinker with the ratios a bit, too.

Tastes like a light rye bread, toasts fairly well and made decent reubens.

We're out of custards, so I'll make another batch tonight. Low carb and tasty.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Enjoying reading about your attempts on the low carb recipes Mike.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Been a big cookie week so far. Sunday was hamantaschen day at religious school. We had pre-K through sixth grade come through and shape and fill hamantaschen. There were some very nice cookies made by some very small hands!

Then last night Sam wanted to make cookies to take with him to visit some friends in Boston so I helped him make chocolate chip cookies. We incorporated two of the changes from the new KAB chocolate chip cookie recipe - brown butter and using all brown sugar. They came out well. Now Violet wants to make some to take to school tomorrow for a movie day her classroom won for doing the most minutes of reading. She wants to make the same ones as her big brother so I need to brown more butter.

I haven't decided if I'll make more challah this week. I want to try some time-shifting in making in the first and second shaping.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today I made Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies using the KAF recipe. I reduced the amount of chips from 3 cups to 2 cups and baked them for only 12 minutes. They are perfect: crispy-chewy!

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

We now have TONS of chocolate chip cookies. Sam left his when he went to Boston but Violet needed "cute, little" cookies. I used brown butter in both but the first batch butter was browner. I like them better. I now know I need to let the browning go longer.

I will probably make more ciabatta rolls this week and challah either this week or next.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Aaron--Did Sam actually FORGET the chocolate chip cookies? If so, that is so sad.

On Wednesday, I baked Pompanoosuc Porridge Bread (my adaptation). I used 2 Tbs. maple syrup instead of sugar, although I proofed the yeast with ¼ tsp. sugar. I used whole wheat rather than white whole wheat flour this time, and of course a cup of buttermilk for that much water and reduced the salt to 1 ¼ tsp. Instead of using the Emile Henry Long Baker, I used a Kitchen Aid loaf pan 12 x 4 x 2.5 to bake the loaf, and it fit perfectly for this 4 cups of flour and ½ cup dry Pompanoosuc porridge recipe. The Emile Henry Baker is too large for the recipe. King Arthur used their bread baking bowl, but I found it too small. The Kitchen Aid loaf pan is just right, and its heavy construction works great for baking. I think that I found this pan years ago at either T. J. Maxx or Tuesday Morning.

I also baked my adaptation of Lemon Ricotta Cookies to use up the ricotta left over from the Turkey Lasagna I made last week. I always use half white whole wheat flour and add 1 Tbs. milk powder.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made burger/sandwich buns this evening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.