What are You Baking the Week of July 25, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 25, 2021?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

One of the local grocery chains started carrying King Arthur AP flour the other day, but at a price higher than the other local/regional chain. And I can buy it for a lot less at Costco, where I can get it for under 50 cents a pound, half of what it costs elsewhere.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Occasionally, Kroger has had deals of King Arthur flour. Around this area, usually Walmart has the lowest price. We aren't close enough to a Costco to make it worthwhile to have a membership.

On Saturday, I made my variation on the King Arthur Maple Granola. I also baked the Authentic Italian Lemon and Ricotta Cookies (No Butter) from the Olive Tomato site, making the same changes as last time. I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. It will rest in the refrigerator and be baked in about a week, as that develops the flavor.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I made No-Bake Chocolate Cookies. Well, I guess that isn't baking, is it!! But they are good cookies!

BakerAunt
          Participant

Chocomouse: Only the greatest baker can bake without turning on the oven!

cwcdesign
            Participant

I had a $10 coupon that I had to use by today at KABC. So I ordered some diastatic malt for Will, cuz after all his reading, he wants to try it. He also suggested I order some bread flour. They had an 8 lb bag for $5.53 in the packaging they were using last year - final cost with the coupon $3.30 or thereabouts. I also ordered some buckwheat flour because I keep wanting to try it and thought I’d give their silicone pastry brush a try. I’m not holding out hope, but if it works, that would be great.

chocomouse
              Participant

I also have a $10 coupon, to use by the 10th, so going to KAF on Wednesday. I have not finalized my shopping list, but so far I have pumpernickel, semolina, high gluten flour, and lime juice powder. Once I get in the store, I just know they'll have things I didn't know I need!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

It would be SO dangerous for me to live within driving distance of their store!

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I put some semolina and durum flours in my KAB shopping cart last week with some plastic storage bags (I really like their bags) and waited hoping that a free shipping offer would pop up. I waited a couple of days and no offer so I placed the order. This morning I received 2 emails from KAB, one, my order has shipped, two, free shipping is being offered now. Of course it is.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I made strawberry spoon bread from the NY times recipe. Its somewhat like a corn spoon bread, but there are some striking differences, its made with wheat flour instead of corn meal, it doesn't have any eggs and it does have lots of butter and sugar. It also has strawberries macerated with brown sugar and their juices added into it. The texture ends up very like a spoon bread. I had hoped to give it away but couldn't connect with the friend I had in mind. He likes everything strawberry. I ended up eating it myself with ice cream. The texture also reminded me of a bread pudding. Its much softer than a bread or cake. This was on Saturday.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made brownies from a box mix, with the addition of a half cup of oats and half cup of additional milk (for the oats), which is my usual way of making them. I wanted to put a white chocolate ganache on it for the contrast in color as well as the taste. I have tried to make white chocolate ganache before but without success, it would always come out to runny so I would add powdered sugar and cocoa to it and turn it into a pretty tasty chocolate frosting. I saw a video on youtube in which she said for white chocolate to use only 1/3 or maybe even 1/4 of cream by weight of the chocolate. So I took a 12 ounce bag (340 grams) of mini white chocolate chips, put it in a glass bowl and microwaved it for one minute to get it started, then I added 85 grams (1/4 by weight) of hot half and half (just below boiling) and stirred it in. I let it set on the counter for a while and it still looked runny so I put it in the fridge for a while. When I took it out, it was perfect, nice and thick like a frosting. I whipped it and then topped the brownies. Turned out great.

Janiebakes
                        Participant

Good to know your experiment worked Len. I love white chocolate.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Len,I like the addition of oats to the brownie mix.I'll give that a try.

chocomouse
                            Participant

That's good to know, Len. I would have used the proportions for dark chocolate, and ended up with the runny mess. White chocolate would be a nice change.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Mike, it was a dangerous place for me, for a while, especially when I drove by daily going to work. But I've learned (and, by now, I already own most everything they have!). Their items are expensive, and most can be found for less elsewhere; such as USA pans, even the ones they say are exclusive to KABC. Their "basic" flours are cheaper at the grocery stores. However, it is nice to have instant access to some of the "specialty" baking needs, pumpernickel, their Super 10 Blend, etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.