What are You Baking the Week of July 25, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 25, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday morning, I baked my adaptation of King Arthur’s Basic Berry Muffins. I like this recipe, which also uses oats and can be adapted for any fruit. I use buttermilk rather than regular milk, so I reduce the baking powder by 1 tsp. and add ¼ tsp. baking soda. I also cut the salt in half. Today, instead of whole wheat pastry flour, I used white whole wheat flour. I also baked a half recipe, because I was using the blueberries we managed to harvest from our two little shrubs before the birds got to them, and I only had a little more than 1/3 cup of small berries. I baked them in a six-well Nordic Ware heart muffin pan—only because I could not locate my small muffin pans. (I think they were stored in the kitchen in the apartment, and we emptied out the apartment and have started renovating it.) I baked the pan in my countertop convection oven (even in the early morning, the humidity is high). I reduced the temperature by 25F and baked the full 20 minutes. I am beginning to think that I do not have to do a temperature reduction when baking in the small oven.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

When I finished my Zoom yoga class this morning, I came out and Will had made drop biscuits with sourdough discard - his first time and they are really good. We had egg, cheese and turkey sausage breakfast sandwiches for brunch. Yum.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Cwcdesign those biscuits sounds good!

I baked two lemon supreme pound cakes after grocery shopping today one for us and one for a sweet friend.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Yum, yum, Joan!

I baked two loaves of the Semolina/Rye/Wheat Bread (aka Len’s buns recipe baked as loaves). I may have to work out how to scale it up to three loaves. We really like this recipe.

Janiebakes
            Participant

I baked the gateau basque I started on Saturday. Took the rolled out dough from the fridge and let it set 10 minutes. Recipe called for cherry jam but I only had black raspberry so used that between the pastry layers. Rolled it to 9.5 inches instead of the 8 inches called for but used the same amount of jam. Took it to the potluck picnic. I cut it into small squares instead of the 1/6th of a cake slice it showed in the NYTs recipe. The pastry is pretty much a sugar cookie. With jam sandwiched inside it is plenty sweet and rich. No way could you eat a whole slice.

20210724_144056pie

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Janiebakes
              Participant
                • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Janiebakes.
                • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Janiebakes. Reason: duplicate post
                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                skeptic7
                Participant

I don't know if this counts as "baking" but I did a Chinese steamed pastry. I remember my mother describing this, so I sent an email to my remaining uncle on that side of my family, and my cousins to ask about this desert. My cousins said that my aunts liked it and used to buy it as treats after brunch, and my uncle said it was a common desert in Hawaii. I bought the rice flour necessary some time ago, but just got the courage to try this on Sunday. It actually came out fairly well but I found it very sticky when first cooked, but its more manageable after refrigerating over night.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I'm not sure, but I think one of the secretaries at work (she was from Hawaii) used to make this dessert for the annual Christmas party. It is great that you were able to re-capture a family culinary memory, Skeptic.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

supposed to be 98 here today, too hot to do much baking or cooking!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I think the steamed rolls you're referring to are mantou, which I believe can be made in a savory or a sweet form.

Here's a site that talks about them:
                        steamed asian buns

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've had a form of gateau basque at a basque restaurant in Reno, but there are many versions of it, some more cake like and some more like a filled cookie.

I suspect the latter may use a dough similar to sablé breton dough.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Janie, that gateau looks picture perfect!

I'm making a batch a my sandwich/burger buns and see that I'm down to my last 3 pound bag of semolina. That's still plenty for a while but I always like to have at least one unopened bag on standby. I went to the KAB site to see if they have any (they do) but then started thinking about Durum flour. Isn't semolina simply Durum that's course ground? Would it make any difference to my bread or pizza on which one I use? It represents about 21% of my total flours in the bread rolls.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I think durum flour might have a higher ash content than semolina, because it often contains the middlings that are left over when semolina is made. Durum is generally used for softer forms of pasta, but for bread I don't know if it makes much difference. I've seen some products that used both durum flour and semolina, though.

Durum flour seems harder to find than semolina, that may be because semolina is used more.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I use both semolina and durum flour in my pizza. The semolina is more granular and the durum more finely ground. The semolina has the yellowish color, but the durum is more cream colored.

I think that King Arthur has a recipe or two for a durum flour bread (probably because they are the only readily available source of durum flour).

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Thanks, Mike. I was thinking there wasn't too much difference but I did notice KAB has a thin crust pizza recipe that calls for both.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.