What are you Baking the Week of July 24, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 24, 2022?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I still need to make semolina bread, might wait until tomorrow, when it is supposed to be a lot cooler. Saturday it got to 103, today the predicted high is 90, for Monday it is 70!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We had another great rainy morning and drizzly afternoon, so Sunday was opportune for baking, which was good, since we are out of bread. I baked three loaves of my Whole Wheat Oat Bran Bread, which came out fine. However, I realized as it was on the first rise that I had forgotten to incorporate the half cup of flax meal. It made no difference in the dough, which did not need additional flour. I will note when we cut it tomorrow if the omission affected the texture.

I also baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Sunday from dough that was resting in the refrigerator.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Rain and cooler temperatures supposedly on the way, if they get here on schedule tomorrow will be a good day for several baking projects.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I made a small peach cobbler.

chocomouse
            Participant

Peach cobbler sounds so good, Joan. I just pulled the "crust" for an ice cream pie out of the oven. It's a box cake mix (chocolate), half a container of canned frosting mix (chocolate), 3/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup oil baked in 2 pie plates. After it cools, I'll fill one with caramel/chocolate swirl ice cream. I'd never heard of doing this, but my sister rather easily talked me into trying one. I'll freeze the other for later. Maybe chocolate mint chip ice cream?

BakerAunt
              Participant

Temperatures on Monday were in the mid-70s with lower humidity. I seized the day and baked my sourdough pan pizza with the usual toppings, including a red bell pepper from our garden

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made bagels and semolina bread today, I might make a batch of Moomies buns this evening.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Chocomouse the ice cream pie sounds so good to me, I love ice cream.The peach cobbler was very good.

chocomouse
                    Participant

The ice cream pie needs some adjustments. The flavor was fantastic, chocolate and caramel. But the crust was supposed to be "gooey", and mine was dry and a little hard. I plan to shorten the baking time by 5-7 minutes next time. Maybe it was just the heat of the day and house, but the ice cream started melting very quickly as I scooped it into the crust. I had skipped the recipe directions which said to "allow the ice cream to soften out of the freezer while the crust cools for 15 minutes." It would have been pure soup at that point. The ice cream was not rock hard when I took it out of the freezer, so today I will be relocating my thermometer from another freezer to this one; I really hope I'm not facing trying to buy a new freezer at this time, with all the distribution issues I've been reading about.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made a batch of 14 Moomie's buns today. (We like 'em small, about 1.9 ounces each.)

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Wednesday morning, I baked a new recipe, "Blueberry Oat Muffins for Healthy Mornings," from the blog 31 Daily:

I made some changes by substituting white whole wheat flour for all the flour, using buttermilk, halving the salt, and adding 1 Tbs. each of Bob's Red Mill milk powder and flax meal. I replaced 1/2 cup of butter with 1/3 cup canola oil. I used about a cup of blueberries. I sprinkled the tops with Penzey's Cinnamon Sugar. I baked them in as six large muffins rather than twelve small ones. The flavor is excellent, and I will bake them again. However, next time I will increase the baking time by about ten minutes, because even though they tested done, the center area slightly collapsed about ten minutes after I removed them from the pan. I ate one and put the others back in the oven for another ten minutes. The issue, I suspect, was that I had larger muffins and needed to increase the baking time.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made sugar cookies and baked today .

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made a blueberry cobbler following the recipe on onceuponachef. It was excellent! I've made many a cobbler, crisp, buckle, etc through the years, but never really liked any of them. This is perfect. I will reduce the 6 Tablespoons of sugar in the filling to 5 Tablespoons next time, as it is a little sweet. I might reduce it more later if it is still too sweet. The directions are a bit confusing - as the amount of butter (and sugar) called for in the ingredient list is to be split and used in both the filling and topping. I'm going to rewrite the instructions to clarify and make it easier and faster to follow. Now, I just need to pick berries faster!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.