Orange Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Home Forums Recipes Orange Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Orange Cinnamon Swirl Bread (makes two 8 ½ x 4 ½ loaves)

Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from the first edition of Bernard Clayton Jr.'s The Complete Book of Breads (pp. 422-424). Use Cara Cara oranges for best flavor.

2 ¼ tsp. special Gold yeast (high sugar doughs) 2 ¼ cups (290 g) bread flour
      1/3 cup warm water 1 ½ tsp. salt

½ cup (105 g) sugar (use a bit to proof the yeast) 4 Tbs. avocado oil
      1 Tbs. grated orange peel
      ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3 Cara Cara oranges)
      1 cup buttermilk
      1 egg Filling (I split into 2 containers)
      ½ cup (105 g) sugar
      4 ¼ cups (556 g) white whole wheat flour 1 Tbs. cinnamon
      4 Tbs. (30 g) special dry milk water for spraying
      3 Tbs. (21 g) flax meal

Set aside ¼ tsp. of sugar for proofing the yeast. Grate orange peel into a small bowl with the rest of the sugar. Use a fork to distribute throughout. Combine sugar with white whole wheat flour, dry milk and flax meal in a medium bowl. In bowl of stand mixer, combine buttermilk, orange, juice and egg.

Proof yeast in 1/3 cup water with bit of sugar. Add to stand mixer bowl and mix to combine. Add white whole wheat mixture and mix to combine. Cover mixer with a towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes so that the wholegrain flour can hydrate. In the meantime, combine the bread flour and salt.

After the rest period, add the bread flour and salt to the wholegrain mixture. Mix, then change to a kneading spiral. While the mixer runs at Speed 2, drizzle in 4 Tbs. avocado oil. Increase to Speed 3 and knead for 6 minutes. Check dough. It will likely need another 3 minutes. It is ready when you can pull a windowpane.

Place in 4-qt., oiled rising bucket with lid. Allow to rise for an hour. After the rise, turn out onto a Silpat mat and divide in half, using a scale. Form each into a rough oval, cover, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grease two 8 ½ x 4 ½-inch loaf pans. Divide the filling ingredients between two small bowls.

At end of rest period, form each half into a 15 x 7-inch rectangle. I pat it out by hand; I think that a rolling pin stretches out the dough and increases the chances for a blow-out when baking. Leaving a 1 inch bare area at one of the 7-inch sides, and about a ¼ inch bare area along the longer sides, sprinkle half the filling on one rectangle, then half on the other. Using a spray bottle with water, gently spritz the sugar-cinnamon filling on one rectangle (about 1 tsp. of water). Starting at the covered short end, roll the dough to form a loaf. Seal the seam (why you left the bare area) with your fingers by pinching together and smoothing. Then pinch seams at the ends to try to prevent leaking. Place in prepared pan. Repeat with second rectangle. Place loaves in covered plastic container and allow the loaves to rise for an hour or until they crown the sides of the pan. About 20 minutes before loaves will be ready, preheat oven to 375 F.

Note: Baking Temperatures Change during the Bake.
      Put the risen loaves into oven. Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes.

Turn oven temperature down to 350 F and bake for 12 minutes.

Turn oven temperature down to 325 F and bake for another 18-23 minutes to an internal temperature of 190 F. Remove from pans and allow to cool on a rack.

Optional Frosting (Loaf should be completely cooled before frosting.) I omit it.
      1 cup confectioners' sugar, 1 tsp. grated orange peel, 4 tsp. orange juice.

What I changed. I replaced AP flour with white whole wheat and bread flour. I tried regular whole wheat, but the orange flavor was overwhelmed by the wheat taste. I added the special dry milk and the flax meal. I replaced regular yeast with the special Gold yeast for doughs higher in sugar. I replaced the milk with buttermilk and increased the water from 1/4 to 1/3 cup. I replaced ¼ cup of shortening with 4 Tbs. of avocado oil. The original recipe called for baking the bread at 375 F for 10 minutes, then dropping the temperature to 325 F. I was uncertain that the bread would bake completely in the allotted time, and I was unsure how my oven might handle the reduction, so I included an intermediate heat reduction. Sometimes, no matter how carefully the loaves are formed, some filling may leak, so the lower temperatures help prevent the sugar from burning onto the pan. I have completely re-worked the directions

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.