What are you Baking the Week of July 16, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 16, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm probably making some kind of zucchini bread/cake today, haven't decided which one yet, maybe more than one.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I've got pizza dough made up rising on the counter for tonight.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have dough for Len's buns mixing in the bread machine. Instead of using Bob's Red Mill dark rye flour, this time, I am using King Arthur's pumpernickel flour.

Update: the buns are, as always, spectacular. I did not notice a difference between the Bob's dark rye flour and the KABC pumpernickel. I made the recipe into 10 buns, which is the right size for us.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Ugh, posted in wrong thread.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I made homemade pizza and an old coworker like a sister came over enjoyed it all very much.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers today. I will bake them next week.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I shredded about two pounds of zucchini from the garden and used about half of it to make a chocolate buttermilk zucchini cake:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/buttermilk-chocolate-zucchini-cake/

The only change I made to the recipe was instead of sprinkling a half cup to a cup of chocolate chips on top, I mixed a cup and a half of chocolate chips into the batter.

My neighbor's youngest son is seriously interested in a career in agriculture and has been raising chickens and ducks in his back yard. He brought me a dozen eggs the other day in return for a big stack of egg cartons. (We have dozens of them in the garage.) I'm going to take him a big chunk of the cake, since it has 3 of his eggs in it.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

The chocolate buttermilk zucchini cake came out great, light and tasty. I did bake it for about 5 minutes longer than the 45 minutes the recipe called for.

If we cut the 9 x 13 cake into 32 pieces, it should be about 22 carbs/piece.

cake

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

That cake looks good to me. Chocolate makes everything better!

I made a batch of burger/sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I baked Big Lake Judy's Molasses Cookies on Thursday. I asked my husband what kind of cookie he wanted, and he requested these, even though I baked them just a couple of weeks ago. That recipe is definitely a winner in our house!

chocomouse
                        Participant

I will definitely try that recipe, Mike. IF my garden ever produces some zucchini! Do you ever freeze your zucchini? If so, how do you compensate for the extra moisture when you bake with it?

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I haven't grown zucchini in a long time, if ever. I've got one bag of shredded zucchini in the freezer now and will probably add more over time, though I've got several additional zucchini bread recipes to try, I think the next one will be strawberry zucchini bread, possibly with some blueberries in it.

So I haven't really dealt with the excess moisture issue yet.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I have not tried freezing shredded zucchini for baking, but I have frozen it to use in turkey loaf. I usually freeze about 2 cups instead of the 1 cup that recipe requires, then drain off the water after thawing.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I also freeze my zucchini in 2 cup amounts, but after it thaws and I drain it, it's only about a cup. Most of my recipes call for 2 cups. I guess I should be thawing two containers of frozen. However, the moisture content of my batter is not very consistent.

Today I made the Asiago Grill bread again, but used the KAF VT cheese powder because I used up my asiago cheese on the batch I made last week. I have never liked the cheese powder, which is why I had a part bag remaining. This grill bread is awful - and it is the flavor of the cheese. I'm hoping that adding something to the inside of the bread, perhaps salami and cheese, olive salad, etc, will render it edible.

I also made an icebox cake, first time ever. I had to make the chocolate wafer cookies, as apparently no company is making them any more, and the store had nothing comparable. The cookies turned out fine. I also made chocolate pudding, but bought Cool Whip instead of whipping fresh cream. So I layered cookies, pudding, whipped cream, repeat, repeat, 'til I ran out of ingredients. It is now chilling overnight in the fridge.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm planning to make a strawberry zucchini bread, but will probably wait until Saturday. I might add some blueberries.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.