What are you Baking the Week of July 16, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of July 16, 2023?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Chocomouse-- I saw somewhere this week that those chocolate cookies are no longer being produced.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

If you have a grocery store that has a good sized ethnic foods section, Goya Chocolate Maria Cookies might work for that recipe. I've seen other Goya products in local stores here, though I haven't specifically looked for these. We have a significant Hispanic population and several stores that cater to them. They're also available online.

I just took a buttermilk blueberry zucchini bread out of the oven, I took it to 205 degrees, about 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for. Smells good, but it will be a few minutes before I can remove it from the pan and then it still has to cool enough to slice.

I'm probably doing a strawberry zucchini bread next, and then probably the one with the chocolate chips in it.

I picked 2 more medium zucchini (12/20 ounces) today so I've got plenty of zucchini to work with.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I bought more zucchini at the farmers' market, so I will be baking zucchini bread soon.

On Saturday, I made Maple Granola.

I also baked three loaves of my Oat Bran Whole Wheat Buttermilk Bread. Hot weather is predicted for the middle and end of the coming week, so I wanted to have two loaves for the freezer.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Today's blueberry zucchini bread is very good, but rather crumbly. Not sure what would make it less crumbly. (The Internet says less oil or less leavening. It only uses a half-cup of oil but 2 teaspoons of baking powder, maybe next time I'll cut that down to 1 tsp.)

chocomouse
            Participant

Thanks for the cookie suggestion Mike. I found (using the search button) that my grocery store does carry the Goya Maria Cookies, although perhaps not the chocolate version. I'll look for them next time I shop. The chocolate cookies I baked from scratch worked find in the icebox cake, but I was hoping this "cake" would be a quickie that required no baking and little time investment.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We froze most of the zucchini cake, Diane says it is great right out of the freezer, the chocolate chips are a little crunchy but the cake is not. This recipe is a definite keeper.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The Strawberry-Blueberry Zucchini bread is probably not a recipe I'll repeat.

I had another piece of it today and while the flavors have mellowed out, making it less assertively cinnamon, as my wife put it, it isn't worth the carbs.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.