What are you Baking the Week of January 10, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 10, 2021?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

italiancook,

I remember when PJ was doing blogs on reducing sugar in baking. So I went over to King Arthur and found this
      https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2017/07/11/baking-with-reduced-sugar

BakerAunt
      Participant

I found a 1938 Newspaper Clipping:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/27728870/1938-may-cookie-recipes/

It looks about the same but uses shortening, which may be more of a depression era cookie than using butter. It also includes an egg and 1 Tbs. milk. It doesn't say to double sift.

They bake at 400F for 15 minutes.

I'd guess that the original cookies used bleached flour, as that was what was available?

It's been a while since I baked sugar cookies, but I recall that those with Crisco spread less than those with butter. I also started rolling out the dough to the thickness I wanted BEFORE refrigerating, and refrigerating it on parchment on a cookie sheet. That way, the dough is colder. You could even cut out the cookies directly on the sheet, remove the excess dough from around them, and bake them directly. Any leftover dough could be rolled out, briefly refrigerated, then repeat.

All of this is to make your life easier, Italian Cook, when you use your leverage to get Aerogarden research....

Italiancook
        Participant

cwdesign, thanks for posting the KABC blog. The article is helpful, especially the links at the end about reducing sugar for specific baked goods.

BakerAunt, I appreciate the newspaper recipe. I have no idea why my grandmother's recipe says to sift the flour twice. That must have been her personal preference with baking . . . but it's a bother. Thanks, also, for posting your experience with refrigerating dough.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.