What are you Baking the week of February 24, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of February 24, 2019?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I baked my version of that Seeded Crispbread recipe again on Friday morning. This time, I used my fingers at the end to spread the batter as evenly as possible on a large baking sheet lined with a large piece of parchment. I baked for an additional 8 minutes over the stated time, which seems necessary with my heavy baking sheets for this recipe.

Italiancook
      Participant

I have Sara Moulton's Shortbread biscuits cooling as I type. They're for the freezer until I have strawberries to go on them. Here's a recipe of hers that similar to the one she was publishing a decade or longer ago. I use 1-1/4 c. cream & 3 tablespoons sugar (I use half white Splenda & half sugar). And I reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon. https://saramoulton.com/2013/04/cream-biscuits/

chocomouse
        Participant

I made sandwich thins again today. I really like the flavor of this recipe and have figured out I can use a rolling pin to roll them out quite thin. However, I goofed this time, misread the recipe to make 8 instead of 16, and they are too large. But my husband ate one with his chili for dinner and liked it.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked a lemon blueberry cake from Jennycan cook,I liked it ,no mixer needed and it's not too sweet,baked in 8x4 inch pan topped with a light drizzle.It called for lemon zest and my lemons had dried up sorta on the outside so I skipped that and added in about a tablespoon of lemon jello,all tasted ok.

Italiancook
            Participant

I baked Surprise Rolls today. The surprise is supposed to be that they're made with cottage cheese. But I received another, unwanted surprise. Does anyone care to offer a guess as to why this happened:

The finished rolls have black speckles of something on them. When I put the formed dough into the oven, I didn't notice anything black on the rolls. Somehow, these black thingies got onto the rolls in the oven. What could they be?

Otherwise, the rolls look great. Oh, btw, they're round rolls, baked in a 9" round pan.

Since I made them for the freezer and for my consumption only, I will eat them. But if I had made them for guests, I'd toss them out. The black dots are noticeable even though they don't completely cover the rolls.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Italian Cook, it's hard to tell without seeing the recipe, but I'm guessing that the curds of cottage cheese darkened during the baking. I've had that happen with regular cheese. If that is the case, you might want to tent them with foil at some point in the baking process to prevent the over-browning.

I had a similar experience with that sunflower-sesame seed that I baked, even though I covered the bread early on, as the recipe specified.

Italiancook
                Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for weighing in on my speckly rolls. When I pulled them apart to put in the freezer, the torn edges were perfect. Thanks for the tenting suggestion.

I baked "Simple Banana Coffee Cake" from Allrecipes today. It's for breakfast tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I still have some limes from my lime tree in the refrigerator, and they are starting to yellow, although they still have juice. In paging through King Arthur Flour’s Whole Grain Baking, I came upon a recipe for “Sunny Citrus Squares” (pp. 363-364) that uses ½ cup citrus juice—lime, lemon, or combination—along with zest. The only issue for me was the 6 Tbs. of butter in the crust. I decided to use the guidelines for the oil pie crust that I’ve baked from the KAF 200th Anniversary Cookbook and see if I could modify the crust.

I used 4 ½ Tbs. canola oil in place of the butter, and I replaced the 3 Tbs. of orange juice in the crust (meant to cut the whole grain flavor of the spelt flour) with 3 Tbs. buttermilk. I whisked the buttermilk and oil together, before combining with the flour, using a fork. I followed the rest of the recipe as given, although I used a bit of water to reach the ½ cup of lime juice. It baked up well. As the recipe states, I will refrigerate it overnight. I’ll add a note tomorrow after we have it for dessert.

Note: The bars are delicious. I did have some shrinkage of the crust, so some of the topping flowed over and got beneath the crust. Next time, I will refrigerate the crust for an hour in the pan before I bake it, since my oil pie crust recipe says that doing so will relax the gluten and prevent shrinkage.

I don't know if I will have so many limes this year. Usually we put the lime tree in the apt., which we keep cool, but with the house renovation and our living in the apt., it got too warm and the lime tree bloomed early, but inside there are no pollinators.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

My Meyer lemon tree sets fruit even though it is indoors. I've seen some care guides that suggested using a q-tip to cross-pollinate blossoms and increase yield, sounds like too much work.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I did a lot of coooking that week but have just gotten around to mentioning it.
                        Whole wheat focaccio with rosemary -- I had to buy the rosemary my inside plants are all small and I didn't want to cut them -- on Monday as a gift. A double batch of gingerbread on Tuesday, and sugarless carrot bread on Friday.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.