What are You Baking the Week of August 27, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 27, 2017?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

Chocomouse, I envy you your blueberry bushes. The blueberry season is ending here, I couldn't get blueberries in the Farmer's market last week. I baked blueberry scones with the last blueberries on August 27th and just ate the last ones today.
      Do you find it hard to defend your blueberries from the birds?

chocomouse
      Participant

Our 10 bushes are planted in a 50 foot row. My husband built a frame to support a netting. It is greenhouse shadecloth that allows 80% (I think, we bought it about 25 years ago) of sunlight through it, and we put it over the row as soon as we see the birds begin to check for ripe berries in early July. The netting is 20 by 60 feet, and all the edges are bound by heavy tape with grommets about every 5 feet, so we use huge "nails" to tack it to the ground. It goes up one side 6 feet, across the top 8 feet, and down the other side 6 feet. I can stand under it to pick. The bushes are just approaching 6 feet tall now. We had it made through a local nursery, and although it wasn't cheap, we got our money's worth in berries! Our raspberry and blackberry rows have a similar support system, with wires on the sides to help contain the branches, but no netting. We tie tin pie plates and old cds to the wire supports; their clanging and flashing light as they twist in the breeze and sun helps scare the birds away, but does not elminate their feasting. We also use "scary eye" balloons and have fake owls scattered around the garden area. To extend our season, we have 50 ft of July raspberries, and 50 ft of fall berries, which are just beginning to ripen now. Our berry supply lasts us til the next picking season, and my husband has berries on his breakfast cereal every day! Do you grow berries? Any tips?

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Thursday, I again baked a variation on Antilope's Vienna Bread and made a 12-inch long loaf in the Kaiser loaf pan. I got distracted and added 1/4 cup too much buttermilk, so I had to compensate with additional flour. The loaf looks fine. I'll know for certain when we slice it tomorrow.

Addendum: The bread came out very well. My husband actually prefers it to the previous loaf, and he liked that one also.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

I bought a bag of organic apples (Redfree) at the Farmer's Market on Tuesday. The seller told me that they would be good for pie and would not need as much sugar as most pies. Friday evening, I baked the "Classic Apple Pie" recipe from Baking Illustrated: The Practical Kitchen Companion for the Home Baker (2004), by the editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine (pp. 184-185. I used my buttermilk pie crust recipe, but I used pastry flour rather than AP flour. I followed the BI recipe, except that it specifies a combination of Granny Smith and McIntosh apples. I also reduced the sugar from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup. I increased the cinnamon from 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. I had no lemon zest and had to use bottled lemon juice. Instead of an egg glaze, I brushed the crust with milk.
            I'll report tomorrow on how the pie tastes. It is still in the oven.

navlys
            Participant

I baked "Averie Cooks" blueberry pie squares. They are not for anyone on a diet but they were very good.

BevM
              Participant

Those Blueberry pie squares look delicious, navlys. I looked up the recipe and decided it is one I have to try soon. One question: did you bake exactly by the recipe or make any adjustments? I have a blueberry cobbler that I make occasionally and it calls for cinnamon sprinkled on the top which I like a lot. So when I make it, I will probably sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar over the crumb crust. Thanks for posting that recipe/website.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I haven't been posting much lately,been very busy.Went and stayed with my sister while her daughter went on vacation.Had a great time and when I got back my cousins husband who I use to be a caregiver for died,happy and sad all at the same time.He was only 61 and had kidney disease and liver failure and a very bad diabetic.He had to go to dialysis 4 times a week.Anyways all's well now and I have been baking a little.Made Mikes Honey Wheat bread only half the recipe and added in 3/4 cup of the seven grain cereal.It has a great taste still a little heavy but a very good breakfast bread toasted with jam.I soaked the cereal as ya'll suggested and that made a big difference.Made the old standby of Banana bread also.Always enjoy reading every ones post.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Welcome back to posting, Joan. I offer my condolences on the death of your cousin's husband.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

You need to be really patient with that bread, sometimes it takes 2 hours to rise in both the bulk rise and final rise. Soaking the grain should helps soften it.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.