What are you Baking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

50 pounds of semolina could make a lot of pizza! I can't imagine getting a 50 pound bag, I would be overwhelmed.

This afternoon I made a batch of my sandwich buns.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm doing a loaf of semolina/Austrian Malt bread today using the new semolina.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Well, I had some big containers I could put it in. And my guess is I'll go through it in six months or less, especially once cooler weather comes and I start making pasta more frequently.

I've been making the malt bread with 10 ounces of semolina and 10 ounces of AP or bread flour (haven't decided which I like better yet), so a 50 pound bag would make around 80 loaves. I've been making a loaf about every 4-6 days.

Semolina doesn't cause my wife's blood sugar to spike as rapidly, so I'll probably be making other breads with some semolina in them. I may have to try a rye bread with semolina, for example:
          Semolina Rye Bread

Here's what 50 pounds of semolina looks like in containers:

semolina

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          RiversideLen
          Participant

That looks manageable. For some reason I was imagining 50 pounds to have more volume. That's also an interesting recipe, I might give it a try. I see by the volume/weight measurements that cup for cup, semolina weighs more than other flours, so pound for pound it has less volume.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've never tried minced dried onion in a rye bread, if you try it let me know how much you can taste it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I've baked this recipe, but the dried, minced onion was given as optional, so I omitted it. I also used half buttermilk, and I used First Clear flour in place of the vital wheat gluten. I cut the salt to 1 tsp. My notes say that I used the bread machine to mix it. I also baked it in the "bread bowl" that KAF sells--at 400F for 25-30 minutes.

I must have liked the recipe, since I copied it into my baking recipes. I will need to bake it again.

I'm impressed, Mike, that your square Tupperware canister lid is still in good condition. I have had several of these break at the corners and may need to see if I can buy replacements on line. I don't think that I abused them, just normal usage, and it was a problem before we moved and I had some of my Tupperware in storage (subjected to heat and cold).

chocomouse
                Participant

I've made that Chewy Semolina Rye bread recipe many times,and the first time trying a recipe I follow the instructions closely, although most of the time I've made multiple changes! I use dried onion in most rye breads - it's not a strong onion flavor, although someone who doesn't like onion might disagree. I also always add caraway, mustard, and dill seeds. Sometimes I've used Rye Bread Improver instead of the vital wheat gluten. I sometimes used Deli Rye Sour or Flavor (KAF, I think they changed the name about 5 years ago). I usually use pumpernickel or first clear flour, but have used a "medium" rye. I also usually replace most of the water with dill pickle juice, depending how much juice is left in the jar! My notes show that every loaf was excellent!

chocomouse
                  Participant

Today I made a lemon cake - using a Duncan Hines mix!! It's for a berry trifle using blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries from our garden - the last time this summer we'll have all three of those fresh at the same time. The trifle is for a large group, and I also used instant lemon pudding mixes, and frozen Cool Whip, and my husband's raspberry cordial. Sometimes you just have to take shortcuts, like when you're fixing a deli platter of meats and cheeses, focaccia, sandwich buns, potato salad, cole slaw, and baked beans.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Thanks for showing your semolina storage system, Mike. Fifty pounds doesn't seem as daunting that way. Do you know the name or manufacturer of your semolina?

You sure were ambitious, chocomouse.

For lunch, I made a Green & Black Olive Pizza. I even managed to make it into a large rectangle, about the size of a half sheet pan. It was my first rectangle. Other tries have netted oval pizzas. This was our first olive pizza, and we liked it. The canned, sliced black olives didn't have much flavor (some), but the Manzanilla olives were quite flavorful. I alternated the colors, which was a good thing. Using all green olives would have been an overwhelming taste for a pizza, I think.

I used the KABC Now or Later crust. But it sat for 5 days in the fridge instead of 3. I was afraid it'd taste sourdoughy, which I wouldn't like, but it didn't. (Am I the only one who thinks King Arthur Baking Circle when typing KABC?)

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

North Dakota Mill is the miller.

Here's the semolina/Austrian malt bread, it doesn't make a very tall loaf compared with the way it rises without the semolina, not quite 3" high, just barely above the rim of the standard loaf pan I used (which is behind it in the picture.)

semolina-malt

Attachments:
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Your bread looks good Mike.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

That's a fine looking loaf, Mike.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Here's a shot of the interior. The crumb is fairly tight, maybe not quite as tight as the last one I made, but I can get thin slices from it.

semolina-slice

Attachments:
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

I did Blueberry cornbread -- basically a Yankee Cornbread with a cup of blueberries added. It has quite a nice texture surprisingly better than the all whole wheat blueberry bread. No slightly damp mushy spots near the blueberries. I was short of buttermilk so I used a mixture of buttermilk and yogurt. I wonder if that was responsible for the nice texture or whether it was the cornmeal.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Blueberries and cornmeal go together wonderfully, Skeptic. I have a recipe for blueberry cornmeal muffins.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.