What are you Baking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 16, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Half way through August already, schools are starting up, summer winding down, though the temperature hasn't done that yet.

Supposed to be 90 again today, we've had a lot of warm days but no really hot ones, I don't think it has broken 100 all summer.

No immediate baking plans here, how about you? I'm almost out of Semolina bread but my big bag of semolina won't be here until late this week. I might have to make something else.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I made a blueberry buckle. I used Alton Brown's recipe from Good Eats, made a couple of changes. He calls for cake flour, I used KAF Whole Wheat Pastry flour. I subbed walnut oil for the butter in the cake, the topping calls for 2 ounces of butter, I used one ounce and 2 tablespoons of walnut oil. He calls for 3 cups of blueberries (15 ounces), I used a pint because that is what I had. After I poured the batter in the pan I realized I hadn't put in the blueberries, so I put them in the pan and folded them in the best I could. The cake baked up nice and the texture is light. I'm happy with it.

blueberrybuckle

bckle-slce

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

That looks delicious, Len. I'm making a note of how you use walnut oil. I may have to see if I can find some.

Italiancook
          Participant

Looks scrumptious, Len. For using fewer blueberries, it still looks nice and blueberr-ie.

Italiancook
            Participant

Forgot to add this: I made KABC Now or Later pizza dough. It's for a black and green olive pizza on Wednesday.

RiversideLen
              Participant

BA, I often use walnut oil as a substitute for butter in baking. I use walnut because I believe it to be a healthy oil. If I didn't have walnut oil, I would use some other oil.

ItalianCook, I think the pint of blueberries is just the right amount.

It's pretty good, I think the topping makes it, I can't keep my hands off of it.

This afternoon I made a batch of my sandwich buns.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Len that looks very good.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made cornmeal pancakes this morning (Bob's Red Mill coarse ground cornmeal and white whole wheat flour) to have with maple syrup and some of the blueberry sauce left from when I baked the blueberry pie.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made pasta sauce with Italian sausage and ground chicken.

******edit******
                      I posted this in the wrong thread, doh!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made honey wheat bread last night, since my big bag of semolina won't arrive until later this week.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Tuesday, I baked Squash, Whole Wheat, and Oat Bread—my variation on Ken Haedrich’s recipe in The Harvest Baker. I make it as four Bundt loaves (pan is set up with four wells). I worked in stages in order to rest my sprained ankle. I will freeze at least two of the four. The recipe used up 2 cups of the grated zucchini leftover from last night’s turkey-zucchini loaf. I froze another 2 ½ cups for a cake recipe I plan to try when it is cool enough for the cake to last 4-5 days at room temperature. The last half cup is in the refrigerator to be used in a frittata for lunch tomorrow.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today I made 2 loaves of whole wheat sandwich bread, using up the last of my European Style Flour from KAF which I rarely use.

I also made a focaccia, the first time in ages. I put Herbes de Provence in the dough, use garlic oil on the pan and drizzled on the top, and also sprinkled the top with coarse sea salt, and rosemary and thyme from my herb garden. It is fabulous.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Thursday I made another focaccia, this time using just a little garlic in the dough, and only olive oil and sea salt sprinkled on top. I'll serve both of them, cut into 3" X 3" squares and sliced in half for sandwiches for a family party Saturday night. This version is for the less adventurous eaters in the group - and there are many of them! They will also be able to choose plain sandwich buns.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My 50 pounds of semolina came today, I split it up into 6 different containers, some will probably go in the freezer.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I'm getting low on semolina also, and hoping KAF will have some in the store when I go in early September. I have a $10 reward to use (along with several $10 bills of my own!) this time, and have started a list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.