What are You Baking the Week of April 9, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of April 9, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

With preparations for Passover and Easter, we can look forward to a special baking thread this week. I'm not baking today, but I'll be back in the kitchen tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I'm not doing any Easter baking. I made Chocolate Chip Cookies this morning for the freezer. Will bake them near the end of the month to give away. I'm going to bake Paula Deen's Easy Rolls for the freezer tomorrow or Wednesday.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Tonight the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs have their home opener. So, to make me feel like I'm at the ballgame, I baked hot dog buns to have with a dog or two during the game.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made KAF's chocolate mousse cake with raspberries (only I used strawberries) for Will's birthday tomorrow. It's a good thing I had the day off! It has three distinct parts - cake, filling and frosting.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I will make several batches of Hot Cross buns Thursday evening to give away on Good Friday, as I always do, but right now I'm not sure who they're going to, since 3 of our neighbors have moved since last Easter. 2 of the houses have sold, but all 3 are currently vacant. Another frequent recipient is in Japan teaching for 3 weeks. One or possibly two batches will go to my wife's office.

For those interested, after trying a number of recipes I use the Hot Cross Buns recipe in the KAF Whole Grains book, dividing each batch up into 16 parts instead of 12 and putting 8 rolls in a 6 inch round pan. That makes them more bite-sized and makes the batches more manageable in both size and quantity.

For the office batch, I may see how many would fit in my 10x10 pan, which I didn't have last Easter. I'm guessing it'll hold 25, and if I make them even smaller I might be able to get 36.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Butter Pecan Biscotti, a KAF recipe that Cwcdesign brought to our attention last December. I used Butterfinger Bits rather than butterscotch chips, as that is what I had on hand. Biscotti remind me of Mrs. Cindy, so I baked them in her honor.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
                  Rascals1
                  Participant

Baked my favorite pound cake and for some reason it didn't rise.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I made one batch (24 rolls in 3 six-inch pans) of Hot Cross Buns last night, I think that may be all I do for Good Friday this year.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Rascals--Is your baking powder perhaps expired?

Rascals1
                        Participant

recipe does not use it
                          2 c sugar
                          1 tsp va
                          2 sticks butter
                          4 eggs
                          2 cup cake flour or ap flour sifted minus 2 tbs
                          1 6oz can evaporated milk

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Rascals1.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

Ah, so the eggs provide the lift?

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I currently have a batch of Hot Cross Buns on their first rise. I was not able to start them until after the Good Friday service this evening, so it will be a late night, although I did use the special yeast for high sugar baked goods. The recipe started out as one from The Los Angeles Times food section, but I have altered it over the years, and even with this batch I'm experimenting in that I substituted in a bit of honey for a small part of the sugar. Instead of raisins, I will use dried blueberries, as that is my husband's favorite fruit.

KIDPIZZA
                              Participant

recipe does not use it
                                2 c sugar
                                1 tsp va
                                2 sticks butter
                                4 eggs
                                2 cup cake flour or ap flour sifted minus 2 tbs
                                1 6oz can evaporated milk

RASCALS:
                                Good morning my friend. I would like to shed some light on your recent baking disappointment. To be precise, "The Why Your Pound Cake Recipe Failed"

Rascals just in a few words....notice 2, cups of sugar weigh 14, oz. notice 2, cups of flour weigh approx. 8.5 to 8.75, oz worth.
                                This condition makes this recipe a "HI~RATIO CAKE RECIPE" That is when the sugar exceeds the weight of the flour by more than 120% / 135%. In this case it is about 160%
                                If you baked in a tube pan or a Bundt Pan you can succeed because this type of vessel has 4, sides to it & the excessive amount of sugar will dissolve (MELT)
                                In a round typical type pan it will fail because the sugar will not dissolve in the allotted time in the oven...hence the weight of the sugar over the weight of the flour per unit will drop to the lower area of the pan. That is why it will not coagulate & not rise as you described.

Okay Rascals, you may say that you did employ a Bundt Pan....then consider this theory....do you think that 14, oz of sugar can be melted by a 6, oz can of EVP Milk which has 60% of water removed, not much water or hydration left in this 6, oz can for the sugar to melt. The 8,oz of butter has only 1.5 oz of water in inside. Now for the EGGS...eggs have 73% water in them.

If you add all this water which amounts to approx. less than 8, oz worth...I am asking you my friend do you think it will be able to melt 14, oz of sugar???? I do not think so.

My opinion is this use "CAKE FLOUR" Why, because it is designed to handle "HI~ RATIO recipes. Reduce sugar to 10, oz Add 2.5, oz of honey after creaming butter/sugar. Rascals pulverize the sugar in your fp or blender.
                                Rascals, I hope this helps. Sorry this post is so long.... I didn't have enough time this morning to keep it short (LOL).

I wanted you to understand why the failure of your recipe occured.
                                Reminder in using a tube/Bundt pan, place it in the oven on a grating not on a sheet pan...also consider employing 2, tsp of lemon ext along with the va. will help your cause very nicely I might add.

Good luck Let us know on your next bake how well you did for yourself.

Enjoy the day young lady

~KIDPIZZA / CASS.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by KIDPIZZA.
                                Rascals1
                                Participant

oh my kidpizza thank you for your input I do appreciate it. I copied it on back of recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.