What are You Baking the Week of April 9, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of April 9, 2017?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Saturday, I baked a lamb cake for Easter, using the recipe that came with the mold that I bought from KAF a long time ago. This time, I used Hudson Mill's bleached flour, since KAF flour seems to me to create a less than tender cake. (I am forever grateful to Kid Pizza for his lessons on bleached flour.) I have finally mastered the lamb mold. I use Baker's Joy to spray it. I put the bottom part on a cookie sheet before filling and covering it. Once I put it in the oven, I set a heavy iron pan on top of it. Only a little bit of the batter oozed out. I'll frost it tomorrow for Easter dinner. (I also have a rabbit mold that was my Mom's. I will have to try it out.)

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
      Rascals1
      Participant

glad it turned out well this time for you. that's one lesson from kid pizza that I must of missed.

BakerAunt
        Participant

This cake came out of the mold much more easily than any Lamb cake I've done in the past and with superior pattern. I think that is because the bleached flour combines more thoroughly with the butter, but that is just a guess.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I usually keep some bleached flour on hand for cakes and cookies, as well as some even softer cake flour, and most of the time I have some unbleached AP flour, like Gold Medal, on hand because KAF flour is just too strong for many cakes.

Glad to hear you got it to release from the pan well.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Yesterday was 2 firsts for me, I baked a Challah and I made it a 5 strand braid.

bread

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Joan Simpson
              Participant

Nice bread RiversideLen,only thing I baked this week was a coffee cake with canned cherries on top drizzled with glaze.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.