What are you Baking the Week of April 30, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 30, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Not sure I'll do any baking today.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers, from the dough I made last week, is on my baking agenda for Sunday.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made two loaves of an oatmeal-whole wheat bread. I also baked up a couple dozen cookies that I had shaped and stashed in the freezer - chocolate with mint chips and lemon. I'll leave these for my husband while I am in Maryland for the week.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked cornbread on Tuesday to go with beef stew for dinner.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I used my last butternut squash from the fall to make my Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Cheese tart on Wednesday for a late lunch and for lunches the rest of the week. I replaced the 2 Tbs. of sherry (original recipe used sherry vinegar) with a generous tablespoon of red wine vinegar. I normally use kale in the recipe, but I do not have any, and I found lovely spinach at the farmers' market.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Thursday, I baked two loaves of my Whole Wheat Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread, which is my husband's favorite. I have been working to make the recipe more wholegrain, but last time, I felt the whole wheat flour overwhelmed the malt taste, so this time I used mostly white whole wheat and just a cup of the whole wheat, along with bread flour. I will find out tomorrow, when we slice it at lunch, if I have fine turned the recipe.

I also baked my Oatcake recipe, so that we will have them for afternoon tea.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I spent the better part of the day in the kitchen on Friday. I baked Maple Granola, as we were almost out of it.

I also baked the Olive Oil Greek Yogurt Brownies recipe that I adapted from The Mediterranean Diet. My husband is delighted that there will be chocolate for dessert tonight.

For my final bake, I attempted to make an oil-based version of my Scottish Scones by substituting 1/3 cup oil for the butter. I also used half white whole wheat flour and half whole wheat pastry flour. While I have created an excellent oil version of my Cranberry Scones, the Scottish scones recipe needs further work. I think that I needed a bit more buttermilk, and I might use avocado oil instead of canola. I also will try them next time without the scone pan, which I use for the Cranberry Scone recipes but never before used for this one. I used to bake these scones all the time, so I would like a heart-healthy version. I will taste the scones tomorrow at breakfast while watching Charles III's coronation.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I plan to make another batch of peanut butter cookies this evening.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Didn't get the peanut butter cookies done last night, but made them this morning.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

After sampling my attempt at an oil-based Cinnamon Oatmeal Scone at breakfast this morning, I decided that, while the taste is good, with their texture they are best relegated to afternoon tea, as they are like chewy cookies.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I was gifted a gallon of the biggest beautiful blueberries and we've been eating them in cereal and just as a snack so tonight I used some and made a good cobbler basic one cup flour,sugar and milk with a stick of melted butter.I brought the berries to a slow boil with only a little sugar and about an ounce of water then thickened with corn starch and added to the butter and then ladled on top.The topping rises above the berries.It was good and we took half to a neighbor with some ice cream.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.