Participant

Stuffed Tomatoes And Peppers
      Submitted by anna on June 08, 2008 at 10:10 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Family / Ethnic / Regional

INSTRUCTIONS
      This is my Greek MIL's recipe. You can also add a handful of pine nuts to the filling, if you like. Also, I usually let it cool almost to room temperature before serving. It's just too blasted hot in a NC summer when tomatoes and peppers are in season to eat this dish piping hot! Enjoy!

6 medium Tomatoes
      3-4 Green peppers
      1-2 Potatoes

Filling:
      Tomato pulp
      2 tbsp Tomato paste
      4 tbsp Parsley
      2 tbsp Chopped Mint
      1 large Onion, chopped
      1/2 cup Golden Raisins
      1/4 cup Arborio rice per 2 tomatoes
      olive oil (2 tbsp for filling and more for drizzle)
      salt and pepper to taste
      3 tbsp bread crumbs

Directions:
      Clean out tomatoes by making a circular hole, reserving the “hat” and pulp. Also, clean out peppers by making a circular hole, reserving the “hat.” Peel potatoes and slice each into 7-8 finger like strips.

Arrange tomatoes and peppers in an oiled pyrex to fit all. They should fit snuggly with room for potatoes. Food process the pulp. Put processed pulp in a large bowl and add all other filling ingredients. Fill the vegetables with filling until almost full and replace their respective “hats.”

Place potatoes in any holes or gaps in the dish. Drizzle all with olive oil fairly generously. Sprinkle over bread crumbs.

Bake at 400 degrees for at least one hour, usually 1 hr 20 min in my oven. Vegetables should brown and almost all watering out should disappear. Cool slightly before serving with feta cheese and bread.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.