Raspberry Wholegrain Bread by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Raspberry Wholegrain Bread by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

BREAD/QUICK: Raspberry Wholegrain
      Submitted by beachdee on February 12, 2011 at 12:45 am
      An abundance of berries frozen last summer and my usual playing around with a recipe found on a card I’d written out several decades ago (it’s now Feb 2011) but never used, resulted in this tasty loaf.
      [Note: I use the “fluff and spoon” method of measuring, no sifting.]

• 1 cup WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
      • 1/4 cup WHOLE BARLEY FLOUR (or other whole flour, such as Spelt, as desired)
      • 1/3 cup unbleached CAKE FLOUR (KAF’s!)
      • 1/3 cup instant/quick-cook ROLLED OATS
      • 2 tsp BAKING POWDER
      • 1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
      • 1/2 tsp SALT
      • 1/4 cup good-quality, organic LOWFAT SOURCREAM
      • 1/3 cup LOWFAT MILK
      • 1/3 cup HALF-N-HALF (if using 2% or higher fat milk, just use 2/3 cup of it and skip the half-n-half)
      • 2/3 cup SUGAR (I use half fine-raw such as Florida Crystals, & half fine baker’s sugar)
      • 2/3 cup BUTTER (I also often use half butter and half slightly-refined coconut oil – no flavor)
      • 1/4 tsp ORANGE OIL
      • 1 teaspoon grated ORANGE PEEL
      • 1 Tbsp grated LEMON PEEL
      • 2 EGGS
      • 2 cups fresh or dry-frozen RASPBERRIES (i.e., not in syrup)
      • 1/2 cup sliced ALMONDS (toasted or untoasted, your choice)
      • Coarse crystal such as Demerara or decorative sugar to sprinkle on the top.

1) Prepare a 12 x 4-inch loaf pan (lightly grease & flour, or line w/ parchment, as desired) Preheat oven to 350°F.

2) Combine dry ingredients (flours thru salt) in a bowl and set aside.

3) Combine milk and half-n-half, and set aside.

4) In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peels, orange oil, and sugar until light and fluffy.

5) Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Partway through beating in the 2nd egg, add in the sour cream and finish mixing.

6) Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the milk. Beat just to mix, don’t overstir.

7) Fold in the raspberries and almonds, and stir gently just to mix. Place batter into pan; it should be on the thick side. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.

8) Bake for ~45 minutes (depends on your oven, check after 40 min.) until done. I use a bamboo skewer to check, as well as the fingerpush-on-top test.

9) Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then turn out on rack to finish cooling thoroughly before slicing.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.