Submitted by brianjwood on May 19, 2004 at 5:33 am

DESCRIPTION
      My Tomato Soup

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Misc. Recipes & Requests

INSTRUCTIONS
      PETRAS'S QUSTION & ANSWER THREAD
      As reply to message 10

This is the way I make it, adapted from countless other versions. I also simmer it to make it much thicker (usually in the oven, to avoid burning the bottom - nasty!) and use with pasta, with small broccoli florettes and fried lardond added, or as a pizza topping. It freezes well if you want to make gallons.

Fresh Tomato Soup

2 ? lb ripe (Italian if possible) tomatoes
      1 large onion
      2 cups (homemade is best) chicken stock
      3 ? 4 cloves garlic
      Sea salt and fresh milled black pepper to taste
      1 cup basil leaves
      2 tsp dried oregano
      ? cup tomato puree (optional, it can add richness to
      the flavour if the tomatoes are not fully ripe)
      2 tsps sugar
      1 ? 2 tbsp EV Olive Oil

Method.
      The very best of flavours is gained by roasting the tomatoes whole for about 30 ?40 minutes in a 375F oven. It?s best to use a covered pyrex container to retain the juices, and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
      Chop the onion and garlic finely and sweat (cook gently) in ? tbsp olive oil over low heat until softened but not browned, using a good sized saucepan.
      Add the roasted tomatoes, herbs, chicken stock and sugar, and bring to the simmer and cook for 45 mins.
      (If using unroasted tomatoes, quarter them, add as above but simmer for 90 minutes.)
      Add 1 ? tbsp olive oil, and liquidise the tomato mixture, and sieve to remove skins and pips, and any large herb pieces. You should have a reasonably thick tomato soup at this stage, but if too thick, add a little stock or water; if too thin, simmer a bit longer. At this stage check the flavour and add salt if desired, and plenty of black pepper. You can add the puree at this time if desired.
      Serve garnished with a basil leaf per individual bowl, parmesan croutons on the side, and/or a dash of cream (or yoghourt) added to the individual bowls and swirled in. I often add just a dash of Tabasco too.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.