Malted Milk Powder

Home Forums General Discussions Malted Milk Powder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I read an interesting article on Serious Eats about using malted milk powder in baking:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/what-is-malted-milk-powder.html

Malted milk powder is a key ingredient in my version of the Grape Nuts Bread to which Dachshundlady introduced us. It's my husband's favorite bread. He says it reminds him of the Monks' Bread his family bought when he was a boy. I plan to experiment with it in desserts.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Mike's Austrian Malt Bread uses the malt powder and I've made his bread before it's sooo good.I've never put it in anything else though.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

And isn't this what I am supposed to add to pancakes to give them that "diner" taste? Need article. Thanks BA.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I always thought the secret ingredient in diner pancakes was a bit of orange juice.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Aaron--When you mentioned pancakes, I thought that I recalled a KAF recipe that used malted milk powder in pancakes. If you go to the KAF site there are several.

Italiancook
              Participant

Okay, I have to ask: What is a diner pancake -- a pancake with a secret ingredient?

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

BA, my main, go-to pancake recipe is a combination of a pancake and waffle recipe from KAF. And I've read them on the website too. So I am familiar with them. Thanks.

IC, a diner pancake as in the pancakes you would get at a diner. They have a distinctive taste. I remember reading some place (maybe the KAF website) that malted milk gives them the flavor. But Mike suggests it's orange juice.

Either way, I'll stick with my pancake/waffle recipe as I can make everyone in the family one batch of batter.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Thanks, Aaron, for explaining diner pancakes to me. The last time I was in a diner was when I was 7 or 8.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.