Holiday Cookie Contest

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Holiday Cookie Contest

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Chicago Tribune has a holiday cookie contest, hopefully this link will work:

Tribune Cookie Contest

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

What a fun contest. Unfortunately, I don't create recipes. I only bake from other's recipes.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I think it's hard these days to create a truly original recipe, and it'a always a lot of work to perfect a new recipe you're developing.

I'm not really into 'holiday' baking, which is often more about shape than taste or texture, so I won't be entering, but I will be interested to see the finalists.

S_Wirth
          Participant

Someone didn't read very carefully before they posted this contest.

In the upper part it says this:

Visit our submissions page - you have until November 14th to enter.

In the fine print below it says this:

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Entry runs from 10/12/16 at 12:01 am CT to 11/3/16 at 11:59 pm CT.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Interesting, I wonder which date is right?

Proofreading is getting to be a lost art, even at the Trib.

S_Wirth
              Participant

I agree about the proofreading...our local newspaper is so bad with spelling and even just getting things correct in their paper. They mess up obituaries and have to re-run them and they goof up on family thank you type ads when a loved one has died. As I read the paper, I say the problems out loud and shake my head.

Italiancook
                Participant

The problem at some newspapers is that they're generating stories via computer instead of human writers.

When I was in elementary school, we were told to study newspapers to learn how to correctly use grammar and spelling. I'd never advise anyone to do that now.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Well, for the most part I wouldn't advise them to go online, either, the quality of much online writing is terrible, it wouldn't have passed in fifth grade English class when I was growing up.

When I was on the school board I lamented at one meeting the fact that nobody knows how to diagram sentences anymore, I'm not sure how many people in the audience, possibly including some teachers, even knew what 'diagramming a sentence' was!

Italiancook
                    Participant

The semester we learned diagramming, I received a 'D' in Language Arts. It was a real blow to my ego. The semester my son had diagramming, he received a 'D' instead of his usual 'A'. That convinced me he and I did not receive brains that could comprehend diagramming. I told him not to worry about his grade, that the next semester, he'd be back to a 'A,' and he was.

In spite of our mishaps with diagramming, I think it's a highly useful activity for writers and people who have to write reports as adults. In spite of my 'D,' I learned enough to help me as an adult. Of course, I don't always put it into use when posting online.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I think I learned the most about English grammar in Latin class in HS.

I've got both the Chicago Manual of Style and the AP guide, and I've read Strunk & White many times. There are many books on grammar out there, though most people probably haven't studied it since high school, if then.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

One of my favorite captions from the hurricane in Florida was of a man "pulling a wagon down a road full of sand." That writer certainly needed to know how to diagram a sentence!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Well, the writer needed to be told to put the modifying clause next to what it modifies. One can do that without diagraming a sentence.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.