Hearth Bread Pan

Home Forums General Discussions Hearth Bread Pan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Someone--I thought it was Aaron--was interested in a hearth bread pan. I had mentioned that KAF used to sell them but currently does not have them.

I happened upon one at Sur La Table:

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-2817310/USA+Pan+Hearth+Bread+Pan?cat=TCA-257936_Bread+%26+Loaf+Pans

I like mine for sandwich rye loaves (about 5 cups of flour).

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

It looks like USA must have that pan back in production, I can find it at Kohls, WalMart and Bed Bath & Beyond's websites, too (all for online orders only).

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks. Any advantage to the curved bottom? Or is it just for design?

BakerAunt
          Participant

I think the curved design is for the shape. It makes the longer loaves that look like the ones you find in the store, pre-cut and sold as sandwich rye. I have two (which I cannot find among the moving boxes; I suspect that my husband probably closed up and labeled the box, and he only wrote general labels or what he saw on the top--sigh). I use mine for the KAF sandwich rye and for some "hearth" breads. I also use them for my Swedish Limpa Bread. I find the shape helps give me a higher rise than when I was doing them on a baking sheet, but my shaping technique was not that good back then. It has improved due to tips I've picked up here at Nebraska Kitchen, but I would still use the pans--when I finally find them!

Rascals1
            Participant

Just a question or two are the hearth pans used enough to justify getting them, and my son in law has asked about a v slicer, I haven't used one of these either. My son in law is helping with most of my baking now that I can't do much and I kind of want him to have what he wants and needs.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Rascals1.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I doubt I'd use it much, I do a lot of free-form bread baking, not much in pans. I have some pans I use only a few times a year, I guess that makes them worth having. 🙂

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

Just saw this... Didn't check the reply box. Sorry. Thanks for the reply BA.

We have a couple of v slicers/mandolins. If you do not know what you are doing and/or are not very careful these things are wicked dangerous. You might also get him a cut resistant glove to go with it.

Also, expensive does not mean better. Someone gave us a very expensive mandolin from William Sonoma that we've used twice and never again because it is dull and does not cut well (I suppose there must be a way to sharpen it).

We used to use our cheap Japanese box slice a lot but now we just use knives.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Rascals,
                    I have this one which I think I bought with a coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond or I used rewards points at Amazon (I don't think I spent $40)
                    https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1508768582&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=oxo+v+slicer+mandoline&psc=1

I used to have a fancy Cuisinart (I think) one but it was definitely dangerous, took up lots of storage space, was hard to clean and got rusty. I don't use this one terribly often, but I like having it. It's easy to clean and it doesnt take up much room - all the blades store in it. It also has has nice plastic holder for the Vegas to protect your fingers.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Sometimes I wish I had the old VegeMatic my mother had back in the 60's. Worked perfectly, no risk to fingers, easy to clean.

I've had 3 mandolins, one of them had several interchangeable blades and kept falling apart when using it, which led to a couple of nasty cuts, so I got rid of it. Then I bought a super-fancy $150 one at a restaurant supply store, it works very well but is a lot of effort to set up and clean afterwards, so I only use it for large volume tasks. The fancy one didn't include the keep (it is sold separately), so I bought a Sharper Image one for under $30. It has IMHO the best 'keep' for holding things so you aren't risking your hands, but the thickness setting tends to slip as you use it, so slices get thicker and thicker. (I did later on buy the keep for the fancy one, I've used it exactly twice.)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.