Frying doughnuts

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Frying doughnuts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

A friend asked me about frying doughnuts. I've only baked them.

Any advice and sources of good information would be appreciated.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I can't remember the last time I fried anything, we don't even have a fryer, so I'm going to be of no help here. I've done some shallow fat frying in a cast iron pan, but not recently.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have no experience with frying, so I'm also unable to offer help.

I think that KAF has fried doughnut recipes, so perhaps check there?

cwcdesign
          Participant

I haven’t fried donuts since we used tho get the Pillsbury pop open cans when we were kids - I should say my Mom fried them and we watched

chocomouse
            Participant

I've never fried anything. Not even tempted to try!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Clearly, we are a "No-Fry" zone.

CWCdesign--The Pillsbury biscuit "doughnuts" brought back memories, as I recall my Mom making those too, by cutting each biscuit into quarters. After frying, they were coated in cinnamon sugar.

cwcdesign
                Participant

We liked the “holes”

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

KAF has a good recipe for baked donut holes.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I’ve made the doughnut muffin recipe that is the basis for the baked doughnut holes. We really like it.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I agree that the KAF recipe for doughnut muffins is good. I used to make it quite often, but not for several years now. They are like the old-fashioned cake donuts. I don't eat doughnuts, don't like them, and they settle in the pit of my stomach. Except for Krispy Kreme donuts! Raspberry filled! But it's a three hour drive to the nearest one, which is probably a good thing.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Krispy Kreme donuts have never been 'it' for me. And Voodoo Donuts in Portland OR were just so-so, IMHO. (My son tells me the in crowd goes somewhere else these days, anyway.)

We've got LaMars, and they're pretty doggone good!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                          aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I've made KAF's baked doughnuts and they are a huge hit.

Mike, I am with you on Voodoo Doughnuts. We found another place but I do not remember what it was. Krispy Kremes are only good if they are fresh and hot. We have a place here called Donut Crazy that is okay. The owner is a very nice man but I am just not a fan of the over done over-the-top doughnuts. Like hamburgers and cupcakes chefs have wrecked doughnuts. Give me a simple chocolate glazed any day.

Clearly I am going to have to learn how to fry doughnuts! I started baking doughnuts for some friends who wanted to open a doughnut shop. But they dropped their plans before I started working on frying them. But I'll start now.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Here's an article from the Oregonian that looked at 12 donut places (one of the original choices was closed that day), Voodoo came in 12th, Blue Star came in 11th.

Portland Donuts

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Aaron this recipe came from a doughnut company called Dixie Cream you can Google see it and others around the country.When I worked at a high school lunch room we had their recipe.You'll have to cut it down but I can give you that.

Doughnuts
                                Water-1 qt.
                                yeast-1 cup
                                salt-2 tbsp.
                                eggs-9
                                milk-3/4 cup dry milk
                                butter-2 cups
                                flour-4 pounds or more
                                vanilla ?I had nothing here but I know we added some.

Beat sugar & butter,add eggs,beat well,add yeast and water that has worked,add flour and all dry ingredients a little at a time.This was made in a big mixer and this recipe has been cut down from what we used.After it was beaten well it was let rise a little the we rolled them out,cut and let rise on pan before they were fried in tilt skillet with about 5-7 inches of oil.

You can see what you think,these were excellent.

The local shop is still in business. I've been studying this recipe and I think the flour is suppose to be 4 quarts or 4 gallons as we never weighed the flour with a scale.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                                aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Thanks Joan. I appreciate this. A cup of yeast sounds like a lot!

Did you use liquid measures for the flour?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.