Dinner roll recipes in WSJ

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Dinner roll recipes in WSJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The same day the WSJ publishes an excellent article on a restaurant that has rediscovered whole wheat bread, it has this article with 3 dinner roll recipes, all using white flout. The 'butter bit rolls' recipe looks interesting, though.

Dinner Rolls

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I agree that the Butter Bit rolls look interesting. I'd probably throw in some white whole wheat flour.

Thanks, Mike, for posting the link. I saved the three recipes for when I have time to try them.

Italiancook
        Participant

I third the motion that the Butter Bit rolls look interesting. Thanks, Mike.

Does anyone else dislike rolls made with store-bought self-rising flour? To me, they taste metallic. I've never used KAF self-rising flour. Maybe that would make a difference. Having said that, I've never heard a family member complain about the rolls I've made with grocery store self-rising flour. So maybe it's just my taste buds.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I wonder what kind of leavening commercial self-rising flours use? If it's an aluminum salt, that could explain the metallic taste.

Italiancook
            Participant

That's a good question, Mike, but I don't know the answer. I think I'll ask KAF what they use before trying theirs. I have a couple of really quick dinner roll recipes from Paula Deen that use self-rising flour. They'd sure come in handy when I need to take someone a meal but don't have rolls in the freezer.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

KAF Self-rising flour is here

It has baking powder and salt added to it and is low protein at 8.5%. There is also a blog post that says it is milled from a softer, southern wheat.

Here is a site on how to make your own self-rising flour. It uses all purpose flour and adds baking powder and salt. But given what KAF (and others) say about it being softer I might substitute pastry flour.

I did make my own years ago for an Australian fruit cake. I probably used bread flour but the cake actually came out fine. It was a back in the mid-90s before there were recipes for everything on the Internet. According to my Brit and Aussie friends they mostly use what we call self-rising flour.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The question still remains, what kind of baking powder are they using, does it use aluminum or not?

S_Wirth
                  Participant

KAF absolutely uses no aluminum containing baking powder in their self rising flour or any of their other products/mixes. The BalingCircle talked of this for years and KAF always stated their no aluminum thing.

Also on the BakingCircle, I learned when I first joined, the homemade self rising flour was...to one cup all purpose flour add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. This came from a BC member. KAF has on their site that they use 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Thanks, aaron, for the links.

I'm glad you answered the aluminum question, S_Wirth. If I make self-rising flour, I think I'll use the smaller amount of salt, as KAF suggests. Now that I know their product does not have aluminum, I'll buy a bag of KAF self-rising flour. I'm curious to find out if the metallic taste goes away with their product.

S_Wirth
                      Participant

KAF Self-Rising Flour product label

I used my hand lens to read the Ingredients on the Self-Rising KAF bag...

LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE,
                        MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE),

and it shows salt last...

This leavening uses baking soda and the rest of the leavening is the same as the Bakewell Cream so many of us old BCers love for baking biscuits. We had many threads about how many of us loved the Bakewell Cream. You use fresh baking soda and the Bakewell Cream to make great baking powder.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

If you look for Bakewell Cream at KAF, they say it is the Maine equivalent of cream of tartar. It is made in Maine. There is a famous Bakewell Cream biscuit recipe on the can.

Bakewell also produces a Bakewell baking powder but the Bakewell Cream is mixed with baking soda to make my favorite baking powder.

Italiancook
                          Participant

S_Wirth, thanks for the all the information. I just checked KAF website for the Bakewell Cream. It seems so simple, I have to clarify: Is that all you add to the Bakewell Cream, baking soda. No salt, nothing else? If that's the baking powder, I assume you do not add any regular baking powder. Is that correct?

I saw a photo on the site for Bakewell Cream Biscuits. I never get that kind of rise out of my biscuit recipes, except Angel Biscuits. (Although there is good rise of Ina's Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits.) I'm putting together an order for KAF Black Friday or Cyber Monday, and I'm going to have to include this product that is new to me. Thanks for the tip! This might breathe new life into my grandmother's biscuit recipe.

S_Wirth
                            Participant

Italiancook...you use only the baking soda and Bakewell Cream...I make up a small container of it and just use it teaspoon for teaspoon as called for in the recipe. You use the salt called for in the recipe and no other baking powder.

Bakewell Cream site

You might like to browse the Bakewell Cream site.

Happy biscuit baking!

Italiancook
                              Participant

Thanks for the link, S_Wirth. Since it's only $2.50, I'm going to order their cookbook. The blurb says it has quick bread recipes. I'm always in the market for those.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Let us know how you like the cookbook!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.