Dinner roll recipes in WSJ

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Dinner roll recipes in WSJ

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I just baked a batch of the "Yeast Dinner Muffins" from the WSJ article. Thanks, Mike. I used KAF self-rising flour -- my first time with it. I am quite pleased with the recipe and the flour. There is no metallic taste to the finished product as I've experienced with other self-rising flours. Thanks to all who were involved in this discussion about the metallic taste.

I highly recommend this recipe. Because it uses self-rising flour, the dough comes together quickly. The recipe says to pour the batter into the muffin cups, but it's really not pourable. I used an ice cream scoop for portioning the dough. From start to finish, including greasing the muffin cups and clean-up, it took 72 minutes. It would have taken less if I had let the melted butter come to room temp while I greased the pan. I made the mistake of greasing the pans then melting the butter.

I have a question: Does greasing pans with butter make the outside of the product more tender than Crisco?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Italiancook.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Does greasing pans with butter make the outside of the product more tender than Crisco?

Butter has a somewhat lower melting point than Crisco, but there's so little of it used to grease a pan that I don't know if that would affect tenderness. I do it because I tend to prefer the flavor of butter over the flavor of Crisco in most baked goods. (My mother's Oatmeal Crisps cookie recipe is an exception to that rule.)

Why would self-rising flour make a recipe come together quicker versus one with baking powder or baking soda added?

Italiancook
        Participant

Now that you ask the question, Mike, I guess self-rising flour doesn't save a ton of time. But it saves the effort of pulling the baking power and salt out of the pantry, putting them away, and measuring them. All of a minute or two. But these days, I enjoy saving a minute or two.

Correction: I have a typo in my first post. It took 62 minutes from start to finish, including clean-up to make these.

It think these are called muffins instead of rolls, because they have 1/3 cup sugar and taste sweet. I've eaten 2 this afternoon. Next time, I'll reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

If you left the sugar out completely, i wonder if they'd be more like biscuits than muffins or rolls.

I've stopped experimenting with biscuit recipes, because my wife prefers Bisquick biscuits and they're so easy to make. About the only time we make biscuits these days is to serve with creamed tuna.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.