Daily Quiz for May 12, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for May 12, 2019

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What are the five Mother Sauces?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for May 12, 2019]

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Got it right by lucky guess.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Missed it.

skeptic7
          Participant

Missed this one too

S_Wirth
            Participant

Mike did this nice article on this topic:

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I thought this would be an easy quiz because mother sauces have been discussed several times and shown up in other quizzes.

Italiancook
                Participant

I managed to miss it, too.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I was able to narrow it down because I remembered two of them, so I got it right, ending my string of wrong answers. I did recall Mike's blog post about the five mother sauces, but most of these I do not use, so the information did not stick with me.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I think people use more of the mother sauces than they realize.

Thickening a roux with milk (béchamel) is a pretty common practice, to make macaroni and cheese, potatoes au gratin, creamed tuna, etc.

Most of us use tomato sauce frequently, though we may not make it from scratch. It wouldn't be out of line to suggest that ketchup is similar to a tomato sauce these days, though ketchup has an interesting lineage--it actually started out as a fish sauce, tomatoes weren't included until around 1800.

And as I wrote some months ago, using a roux to thicken a stock (velouté) is basically the same process as making gravy.

Hollandaise and mayonnaise are similar, both are an egg and oil suspension (and both can be easily broken.)

Brown sauce (espagnole) is probably the least commonly used mother sauce at home, and not all that common in commercial kitchens, though demi-glace concentrate shows up in many high end restaurants. Demi-glace is a secondary sauce that starts with Espagnole. I've made Sauce Robert a couple of times (demi-glace, mustard, onions and white wine), it's excellent with pork dishes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.