What are You Cooking the Week of October 15, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 15, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband has dinner duty tonight, which will include pork chops and some more of the fresh green beans from his garden. I will likely make a potato side dish (details to be added to this post later).

Addition: I made the crunchy, roasted garlic potato recipe that I used a couple of weeks ago.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I have a 5 pound eye of round roast that I'm roasting for supper tonight.

navlys
        Participant

"The Hungry Mouse" has a recipe for making deli roast beef from an eye of round. I've used this recipe several times and with the use of my electric slicer it comes out great. You have to adjust the timing somewhat depending on the size of your roast.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Meatloaf,mashed potatoes and broccoli and cheese.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've thought about getting a deli-style slicer, but I don't think I'd use it enough to justify both the cost and the space.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Slow cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken for tacos, only we served it over rice or couscous

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesday, I made a sheet pan dinner using whole chicken legs, cut-up Yukon Gold potatoes and carrots, all drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. We will have steamed green beans from our garden as a side.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Dry lima beans,rice and tomatoes and sausage.

navlys
                    Participant

I don't use my slicer everyday but I use it to slice baguettes for crostini, to slice top round steak for terriaki steaks on a skewer and the deli roast beef. It's not an expensive slicer but it does the job.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I sorta made pizza for the first time. I used puff pastry for the crust, as I had seen Ree Drummond do on Food Network. I used one sheet of the pastry, cut in half. I made one mushroom pizza, following Ree's instructions for the mushroom topping in her recipe, "Puff Pastry Pizza." Definitely will use this topping again.

I made a sausage pizza with the other half. I used the marinara from Valerie Bertonelli's recipe, "Deep-Dish Sausage Pizza." In that show, she made a Chicago-style deep dish pizza. It may be my imagination, but this marinara tastes a lot like Uno's. I'll definitely use it again.

I also made Asparagus Soup using The Neely's recipe from Food Network. This was a Food Network day.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had stewed beef-n-gravy on top of left over rice and lettuce and tomato salad stirred up with mayonnaise.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

For lunch on Friday, I tried a new recipe that came in a Cooks' Illustrated email: Spaghetti Squash Salad with Chick Peas and Feta Cheese. I wanted something different from lunch, and I bought a spaghetti squash at last week's farmers' market. I ended up changing the recipe, as I did not have a lemon, so instead of lemon juice with 1/4 cup olive oil, I used a bottled vinaigrette. I did not end up with particularly "stringy" spaghetti squash, so it mostly mooshed together. Maybe it was my technique as I tried to scrape it out with a fork. I decided to mix in chopped onion, as we had no green onions. I like the taste of the dressing and the chick peas with the onion and the feta. There is no much if any taste from the squash. The result is edible, so I'll be eating for lunch the next couple of days, but it looks like a mess, so I will not make it again--unless I use pasta rather than squash.

navlys
                            Participant

What a weird coincidence! I was going to look up recipes using spaghetti squash since I bought one at the farmer's market. Anyway why do I buy things with no plan in mind to use it? Did I read something online about spaghetti squash and it just stuck in my craw and urged me to buy the squash when I saw it? I often buy ingredients for recipes that I can no longer locate. I probably have 15 sites where I have saved recipes. Anyway if I find a good spaghetti squash recipe (side dish) I will let you know.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

When I made spaghetti squash a couple of weeks ago, I cut it in half, removed the seeds, coated it with oil, added salt and pepper and roasted it, cut side down, on parchment at 425 for about 40 minutes. I allowed it to cool then used a fork to produce strands. I also cooked meatballs in marinara to serve with the spaghetti squash. I kept the meatballs simple, just ground beef, some bread that had been soaked in milk, an egg, salt, pepper and basil. The marinara was a can of tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes, with some salt, pepper and a few herbs. (Sometimes I throw a half cup of 4 cheese blend into the marinara, I don't remember if I did that this time or not.)

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Like Mike, I brushed the spaghetti squash with oil and baked it on parchment, but my recipe said 375F for 40-45 minutes for a 2 1/2 pound squash. I think that my spaghetti squash was too wet, and that is why it was so mushy when I tried to use a fork to pull it out in strands. I'll try again one of these days, but the last local farmers' market of the year was today, so I probably won't be tempted to try roasting one again until next year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.