What are You Cooking the Week of November 19, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of November 19, 2017?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Here is the cooking thread at the start of Thanksgiving week. There will be some great cooking this week!

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I defrosted my third rib eye steak that I decided to cook. ( I had to buy 3 to get the discounted price). Anyway the first two I grilled. For some reason they ended up being tough and tougher. So I searched on line and found Alton Brown's seared rib eye recipe. It calls for a cast iron skillet which of course I have (with every other pan in the universe) and a 500* oven. It came out medium rare and sliced across the grain very easily. I recommend this recipe.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Not really cooking or baking today, but I did temper a batch of milk chocolate and fill a bunch of chocolate molds to make pieces for a chocolate Advent calendar for our granddaughter. It's the first chocolate work I've done in a few months, so it was good to practice those skills.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Monday night I tried an experiment. I had an acorn squash left from a farmers' market in October. The people selling them said that their children had experimented with squashes and were very excited at how they had grown, but they had other activities on the Saturday, so the parents ended up at the market. I had looked at stuffed acorn squash on the internet and finally found a site that gave general directions about using a protein, a grain, and vegetables but left the decision to the cook.
            I began by cutting the squash in half lengthwise and seeding it. I put it cut-side down on parchment and roasted for 40 minutes at 375F, until the squash was tender. Meanwhile, I cooked some Bob's Red Mill Country Rice Blend in turkey broth from the freezer. I chopped some onion and sliced three mushrooms, which I sautéed in olive oil, before adding the leftover cooked ground turkey from when we did our pizza last week. I added 1/4 tsp. dried sage and mixed in 1/2 cup of the cooked rice, along with 1/4 cup grated cheese (mozzarella-provolone blend). I divided the filling between the two squashes. I baked for 15 minutes more, then sprinkled with some freshly grated parmesan. My husband was initially dubious, but he enjoyed the dinner.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Easy supper tonight,cube steak and gravy with mashed potatoes and garden peas.

navlys
              Participant

I had ground turkey in the freezer (on sale of course) and decided I had to use it up. In perusing the internet I found a recipe for turkey meatballs on Hidden Valley's site. The clincher was it called for 2T ricotta cheese which I had leftover from the stolen I made. Of course I had to buy the Hidden Valley Ranch powdered dressing. It called for dried cranberries so I used my leftover golden raisins cut up. I served them in a turkey gravy sauce (jar) which I spiced up. I held my breath waiting for my husband"s reaction. "Delicious" he said. So now I have to find a way to use up the rest of the HVR dressing mix.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For Tuesday dinner, I thawed a boneless chicken breast (yes, from a sale) and cut it in half. I rubbed it with mayonnaise, and dredged them in a mixture of panko, onion powder, garlic powder, chives, pepper, and freshly grated Parmesan. I roasted them at 375F for 30 minutes. To go with it, I sautéed chopped onion, chopped celery, coarsely chopped carrot, and mushrooms in grapeseed oil. I stirred in the leftover rice from last night and added a bit of the leftover broth. I also microwaved some frozen peas.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Joan Simpson
                  Participant

For supper tonight I used roasted chicken from freezer to make Chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup,sour cream a little milk ,stirred in garden peas and carrots and topped with some bread crumbs.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Made bottom round with onion gravy and gluten-free cornbread, some to go with the beef, some to make GF stuffing with tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For Wednesday's dinner, I made Dilled Salmon and Couscous, which we had with peas.

After dinner, I made a Cranberry and Dried Cherry Relish that includes cardamom and brown sugar. It's a favorite of mine from the November 2001 issue of Bon Appetit. After Thanksgiving, I eat it on toast and in yogurt. Strictly speaking, it is not "cooking," but it does go into the food processor. I had combined all but the cherries, then realized I only had half of what I needed, so I pulled out my last bag, only to discover that the oil in it had gone rancid. I threw it away and resigned myself to a relish with only half the dried cherries. Next time I will assemble all ingredients and verify before proceeding. From now on, I date mark my dried fruit!

Italiancook
                        Participant

I pulled everything out of the pantry to make broccoli soup. When I took the broccoli out of the refrigerator, I discovered it was past it's usable life span. Since I was in the mood to make soup, I looked in the refrig to see what I could find. I had 8 oz. mini-portabella mushrooms. Went to the Internet. On Food Network, I found a Wolfgang Puck recipe for Mushroom Soup. It used a pound of mushrooms, but I thought I could have 2 lunch servings by cutting the recipe in half.

Because I'm trying to use less butter in cooking, I went to the olive oil substitution chart and used that instead of butter. I didn't have a shallot, so I used a yellow onion. I didn't have cream, but I had half 'n half. In spite of my substitutions, the soup was good. I think it would have tasted better with butter and been thicker with the cream, but at least I had soup.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

During the Thanksgiving week, Will was sick and I was exhausted. One day I made crock pot fiesta Mexican chicken and rice and on Saturday I made a one pot broccoli Alfredo pasta which is definitely a keeper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.