What are You Cooking the Week of November 12, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of November 12, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We have wonderful leftovers to eat for the next couple of days, but for those of you who are cooking today, here is the thread.

I did roast and process my last of five pie pumpkins this afternoon.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added a space in title
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

I had country-style ribs in the freezer, cooked. I made BBQ sauce to go with them for lunch. Served them with small, boiled Yukon gold potatoes. I didn't have time to make a veggie salad, but we were full with just the 2 items.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Using up left overs and made lima bean soup.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight made fried chicken that had been soaked in buttermilk,baked sweet potatoes and green butter beans.Buttermilk sure adds good crunch to the crust on the chicken.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Wednesday morning, I roasted two butternut squashes. I used most of the puree to make Curried Butternut Squash Soup, which I will have for lunches the rest of the week. I set aside one cup of puree for a Bundt cake recipe.

navlys
              Participant

I took Trader Joe's corn and pepper soup and cooked it down to thicken it. Then I topped it with crushed tortilla chips. I served it with tuna in pita with cheese sandwiches toasted to melt the cheese. I like to add cut up carrot pieces to my tuna along with celery salt and paprika. Ok not exactly a gourmet meal but "pretty good" on a cold autumn evening. I

BakerAunt
                Participant

Sigh. I have not lived near a Trader Joe's for 20-some years, and I can count the number of times I've actually been near one in my travels and could stock up. The Aldi's in the larger town north of us has its grand re-opening today after remodeling and adding an addition. I was not impressed the one time I went there a couple of years ago, but I will check it out again.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

We had leftovers and Harris Teeter freshly made pizza Sunday through Tuesday. Yesterday I tried a recipe for turkey and stuffing meatballs from one of my favorite sites. She used dried cornbread stuffing - I went with the PF Herb Stuffing since that says Thanksgiving in our house. We liked them but all agreed that there wasn't enough stuffing in them for our taste; an easy fix.

I thought the leftovers tasted better last night even reheated in the microwave. Still think it needs more stuffing mix and probably s&p. Although I wouldn’t make it often, it’s a nice recipe to have on hand for a change. I can post the link if anyone’s interested.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by cwcdesign.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had ham,rice and tomato gravy,garden peas with carrots and buttermilk biscuits.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Cwcdesign--PF is also the "stuffing" of choice in my house, and in my siblings' houses.

For Thursday dinner, I sautéed red bell pepper in grapeseed oil with a clove of minced garlic. (Mushrooms would have been nice, but there were none in the refrigerator.) I cut up the rest of our roast into long strips, and added it and the remaining broth to the bell peppers, along with a little water. I stirred in the last half of a bag of semi-defrosted frozen broccoli. I added 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce, before mixing in Bob's Red Mill Country Rice blend (Brown Rice, Wehani, and Black Japonica) that I'd done in the rice cooker. I added sliced green onion on top.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

Tonight I roasted some salmon, made fettuccine with spinach and mushrooms finished with a little chicken stock and a baked apple.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I think Aldi's is a store that kind of grows on you. It's no-frills taken to an extreme, starting with the 25 cent deposit on shopping carts. I get the impression there are seldom more than a half dozen employees in the building, if that. Mostly private label products, but decent quality. Ours has a good though limited to the basics produce section, usually with the lowest prices on produce, milk and eggs. The limited selection of meats is more of a problem for me, so I don't buy much meat there.

For what it's worth, Fareway opened a full-service meat store on the east side of town this week, and once I took the time to talk to the senior staff, I was impressed. They had veal fore shanks in stock though not in the display case, and can order hind shanks on 2 weeks notice, some of the best beef shanks I've seen in years, a good price on rump roast and I stocked up on frozen duck breasts at $9.99/pound. Although Fareway, based out of Des Moines, has mostly full service grocery stores in smaller towns, this is their second meat-only store, just meat, wine and cheeses. I hope it survives in Lincoln, we've needed a good butcher shop for years.

Rascals1
                            Participant

Fixing a pot of soup with a variety of beans with garlic, onions, bell pepper, basil, oregano, marjoram and thyme. Might put diced tomatoes in it. Just don't know what bread to make to go with it yet.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Used up left over ham and rice to make fried rice,only had to dice bell pepper,celery green onions and a carrot.Quick and easy add sliced bread and butter we good to go!

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm making a rump roast today. I started it out in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes, dry, then I added beef stock, red wine and a medium onion and dropped the temperature to 275 for 3 hours. Then I added potatoes, celery and carrot, and will add mushroom in about a half hour and let it cook until the potatoes are tender.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.