What are You Baking the Week of November 26, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 26, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Italiancook, Rascals & Cassina, in the KAF ingredients weight chart, which I’ve found to be quite accurate, they say a cup of vegetable oil weighs 7 oz compared to the weight of a cup of butter. I don’t know if this has to do with the lack of water or if it’s just because oil is heavier

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Most edible fats/oils are lighter than water, but they're not all the same density.

Butter is a complex substance, in addition to butterfat it has water and milk solids. The dairy controls how much of the water in butter is pressed out, in the USA butter is generally between 15 and 20% WATER. European butters tend to have more of the water pressed out, some of them can have a slow as 12% water. I think Ghee has essentially all the water and milk solids removed.

BevM
        Participant

Yesterday I baked Libbies Oatmeal Coconut cookies. I added about half a cup of raisins since I had small amount left in a box (nuts would be good too). They are so good, but I will need help eating them because it made lots, maybe 6 dozen. Not sure if my girls will like them!

chocomouse
          Participant

Earlier this week I made Apple Cinnamon Buns which were excellent. Next time I will shape it into 20 buns instead of 12; they were just too big. Yesterday I made the "Everything-Cheddar Filled Braid" from KAF's latest catalogue. If I make them again, I will make significant modifications. The cheese filling is excellent, but there is not enough of it in proportion to the amount of dough. You can see that in their photograph that accompanies the recipe. The dough was very easy to work with, but not especially tasty. It needs to have garlic, or onion, or both added during the mixing. It might work out best to use the filling as a spreadable butter that you put on a bun or biscuit. Today I made two loaves of our everyday sandwich bread, a Buttermilk Oatmeal made with half AP and half WW flour. Next up, I need to start mixing a variety of refrigerator cookie doughs, which will take me through the holidays and hopefully into the new year.

RiversideLen
            Participant

BevM, I love Libbies Oatmeal Coconut cookies. I haven't made them in a few years, I should put them on my to bake list.

Today I made burger buns. I also made a slightly modified version of KAF Deep Dish Pizza Dough. I plan on making pizza tomorrow and Saturday. My modifications are, I reduced the butter and salt and especially the yeast. KAF loves to load up their recipes with yeast. I am of the opinion that pizza dough should have a minimal amount of yeast. KAF calls for 2 3/4 tsp, I reduced it to 1 1/2 but I'm thinking one tsp is probably enough. I also used a combination of semolina, whole wheat and AP flours. Anyway, I let it raise for a bit at room temp and have it tucked away in the fridge now. I'll use half of it tomorrow, I'm going to make the pizza in a 10 inch cast iron pan. The recipe is for one 14 inch pizza so I think I'll be able to get two 10 inch pies out of it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by RiversideLen.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Chocomouse--thank you for the review of the KAF cheese filled bread recipe. I'll make a note on the copy of the recipe that I saved.

Rascals1
                Participant

I've never tried pizza dough, with all the different types and recipes I didn't know which one to try. I don't like real thick or real thin ones. I just need one basic recipe.LOl

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

These days I tend to make an ultra-thin pizza crust, but this is a good all-purpose pizza dough recipe that I've made many times. It is best if made 3-4 hours in advance and given some time to rest: It works for single crust as well as Chicago-style stuffed pizza.

Chicago-Style Pizza Dough

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Friday evening, I made a double batch of dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. The dough is best when it has a few days in the refrigerator, so I will bake them next week.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I decided to divide my pizza dough in thirds and make the pie in an 8 inch cast iron pan. I used a combination of fresh mozzarella and packaged Kraft. The parm was fresh grated. Toppings consisted of mushrooms and sausage. I rolled out the dough fairly thin for deep dish, about the thickness you would expect from a normal style pizza. For the mushrooms, I chopped them up in a food processor then sauteed them (I had the processor out anyway to grate the parm). It came out pretty good although I'm going to make a note on my recipe card to hydrate the dough a little more next time I make it. I had enough for dinner and enough left for tomorrows lunch.

deep-dish-pizza

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Italiancook
                        Participant

RiversideLen, your pizza looks scrumptious!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I wanted to try another bread with the Emile Henry Glazed Long Covered Baker. The KAF Golden Grains Bread seemed a good place to start, as I have Harvest Grains to use:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/golden-grains-bread-recipe

However, I do not have whole-grain improver, and I do not have non-diastatic malt powder, nor do I wish to buy them. I compared the recipe to my version of the Grape Nuts bread recipe in terms of proportions. I decided to modify the KAF Golden Grains Bread by adding honey, using butter instead of oil, adding some malted milk powder and flax meal, substituting half bread flour for half of the AP flour, and reducing the salt by 1/4 tsp. I used a cup of buttermilk and pre-soaked the Harvest Grains Blend for 25 minutes. I made the dough in the bread machine and after 10 minutes, it seemed dry, so I added a tablespoon of water. At first, I worried that I'd added too much, but I ended up with a slightly sticky dough that rose nicely after 1 hour and 45 minutes.

After I had shaped it and let it rise the second time, for baking, I did not use the cold oven technique, but the one from the Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread recipe that I baked a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/honey-spelt-sourdough-bread-recipe

The bread was 200F when I took it out of the oven, and it is a beautiful loaf. I will try to get a picture and post it. I had splurged on the black walnut Lame that KAF sells, and this was my first time using it. Wow! Where has it been my whole life? 🙂 It is made by Zatoba (see zatoba.com), which KAF does not tell you, maybe because they charge $10 more for it. (Sigh.) Zatoba has a link to a YouTube video that shows how to insert the blade and to position it. (The KAF picture is misleading.) I was nervous about getting the razor blade inserted without cutting myself, but it was not hard at all.

I look forward to tasting it tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I'm making Vienna bread today.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

RiversideLen, your pizza looks scrumptious!

Thank you Italiancook. Tonight's project didn't come out as nice.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Saturday evening, I baked "Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls," from Sift (Fall 2015), p. 40.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/butterscotch-apple-sweet-rolls-recipe

I used Jonathan apples, which I grated with my food processor. I made three changes: I replaced one of four cups of flour with a cup of white whole wheat flour, I added 2 Tbs. flax meal, and I used the gold yeast, since the rolls had 1/2 cup of sugar, not to mention the 3/4 cup brown sugar in the filling. I mixed the dough in my bread machine. I will add the glaze tomorrow morning.

Added Note: We had these for breakfast this morning. They are excellent. I recommend this recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.