What are You Baking the Week of January 7, 2018?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 7, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Sunday morning, I tried a new recipe, Hazelnut Waffles with Pear Compote, from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking, pp. 19-20. I have the first edition of the cookbook, and I discovered that something was missing--how much liquid and what kind (milk, buttermilk?) I googled the recipe online and found a single adaptation that used 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk. I used a combination of buttermilk and 1% milk (did not have enough of either). I cut the vanilla from 1 tsp. to 1/4 tsp., as I think KAF tends to overdo vanilla. I am using up some salted butter, so I deleted the salt. The recipe made 3 double and one single Belgium waffles. They are very good and filling. I did not make the pear compote; I had mine with maple syrup, and my husband had his with honey.
      I have emailed the folks at King Arthur to find out what the liquid ingredient and amount should be. I've also asked them if there is a place that lists errata for the cookbooks. When I get that information, I'll add an addendum to this post.

Addendum: I heard back from the bakers at King Arthur Flour. It should be 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

I had never made cinnamon rolls, so when I wanted to try them, I used Fleischmann's Beginner Cinnamon Rolls. The recipe didn't say to deflate the dough after the first rise, and for me, that didn't work. The dough was too poofy when rolling, and the cut rolls were quite high when the second rise started. The end result is that the middles of the rolls separated during the rise and more during the baking. They taste good, and I'm glad I had an easy recipe to try my hand at cinnamon rolls. The recipe called for 2 packs of rapid rise yeast, and I think that much yeast may have been part of my problem. I will try KAF Soft Cinnamon Rolls next time.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Italiancook.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I was looking at the Popovers recipe in the KAF Baker's Companion, and the sodium level it reports for the recipe has to be way off. It says 11 milligrams per popover, but it uses 1/2 teaspoon of salt and that's about 1100 milligrams of sodium, and that doesn't count the sodium in the flour, eggs and milk. My Fitness Pal says it is about 145 milligrams of sodium per popover (12 per batch).

I think KAF has an errata page, but I don't recall the link. If you find out, I'll check to see if the sodium level for that recipe has been corrected.

I suspect I can cut the salt at least in half and it won't affect the recipe much. (I once tried Alton Brown's popover recipe, it uses a lot more salt and we thought they were inedible because of the salt level.)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

Mike, I heard back from KAF. There does not appear to be an errata site, but they gave me a list of errors that are known to date. I have posted them in the discussion section. That list does not include the sodium error that you noted, so you might drop them a line.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

That wasn't in the whole grains book.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Ah, I see. You would have to ask them about errata for that cookbook. It's odd in that there is a place for errata for Sift magazine, but there does not appear to be one for the cookbooks.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Maybe it was a thread on the old King Arthur Flour Baking Circle? Anyway, I'll drop them a note about the Popovers recipe.

luvpyrpom
                  Participant

I've baked a lot of KAF recipes and I've always found them a bit on the salty side. I always cut their salt down to half or 3/4 of what they say. I go on the heavier side if I use unsalted butter.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Monday night, I baked a new recipe, Lemon-Oat Squares, from KAF's Whole Grain Baking, pp. 365-366. After it cools, it needs to be refrigerated overnight before it can be cut. I will add a note to this post after I've had a chance to taste them.

Addendum: The Lemon Oat Squares are good, but they are certainly tart. Are some lemons more tart than others? They make a kind of bar cookie with a thin lemon filling.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Tuesday morning, I baked a new recipe, Hearty Barley Muffins, which is in the KAF January 2018 catalog. I made some changes: I reduced the brown sugar from 1/2 to 1/3 cup, and I deleted the ubiquitous tsp. of vanilla. I do not, have and do not want to purchase the "Jammy Bits." Instead, I used 1/3 cup of cinnamon chips. Instead of a cup of nuts, I used 1/2 cup pecans. I baked these as six "Texas-sized" muffins, rather than twelve standard-sized. (I know that I'm going to eat two standard-sized for breakfast, so why not save on greasing small muffin wells? ๐Ÿ™‚ ) I baked for 25 minutes. The muffin I ate was excellent warm. I'll see how they are at room temperature tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

There was a reference in a previous thread about a round 6 strand braid. I decided to try it although this morning I was having doubts as my recipe is about 3 cups of flour (14 ounces) whereas the link to that braid was using a larger recipe. I didn't know if it would be effective dividing my recipe into 6 strands. I went on youtube and looked at various braiding methods and ran across the 6 strand round, basket weave they called it. Well, that inspired me again so I went ahead and did it. It's proofing right now. I'm using an improvised proofing box which is top cover of a cake carrier with 2 shots of hot water under it to give it a little humidity.

proofing-box

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

It's out of the oven now. Other than being a little lopsided (unevenness in the strands, I'll have to work on that) it looks good.

Basket-Weave

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

What a beautiful loaf, Riverside Len!

What bread recipe were you baking?

Italiancook
                              Participant

RiversideLen, you basket weave bread is stunning! So glad you tried it and shared photos with us.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Thank you Baker Aunt and ItalianCook.
                                  The recipe I used is Braided Bread Recipe that I found on the former RecipeZaar which has morphed into geniuskitchen (I miss the old recipezaar, they had great forums, sigh). I slightly tweeked it for myself, I use 8 1/5 ounces of milk, olive oil instead of butter and I reduced it from 4 tablespoons to 3 and I use 50% whole wheat. I also usually skip the egg wash. I have also found that the right amount of flour is 14 ounces by weight, which I divide up to 7 ounces bread and whole wheat flours each. If you were using 100% white flour, the 1 cup of milk would probably be right. I also reduce the salt by half. The recipe claims a bake time of 40 - 45 minutes but 35 minutes does it (14 minutes for buns - recipe divided into 8 buns). I like this recipe a lot, I make loaves and sandwich buns with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.