What are you Baking the week of November 3, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 3, 2019?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm not sure box mix brownies are better or worse than ones made from scratch, just different.

When I make brownies from scratch, they're pretty darned good, though I still haven't found a chocolate frosting recipe I like, so I usually leave them unfrosted. Some of the folks at my wife's office refer to my Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake as brownies, but they really aren't. Maybe if I doubled the egg they'd be more brownie-like, but why mess with a nearly perfect recipe?

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Nothing wrong with a mix, especially if you're short on ingredients and short on time. I have everything I need for most of what I want to so who needs a mix. But if your pantry is not stocked it's simpler, cheaper, and faster to buy a box.

But canned frosting... 😉

My English muffins make very nice rolls they just aren't English muffins. It's a soft dough but they definitely don't need rings. I bet I could have kept them flat if I'd put a sheet pan on top but the texture would still be different.

I had a great icing recipe for brownies but I'll have to see if I can find it.

skeptic7
        Participant

I think brownies are best unfrosted. I like a cakey type brownie preferably with pecans. I do wish I lived close enough to Aaron to try his English Muffins.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I think it depends on the type of brownie. I agree some are better unfrosted, and that includes some box ones.

S_Wirth
            Participant

Here is a highly rated frosting recipe for brownies:

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Saturday afternoon, I baked my variation on Skeptic’s Pumpkin Biscotti. I sprinkled the log with mixed Autumn colored sugars.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I adapted my brownie recipe from my mom's old recipe and Rosie's recipe from Rosie's bakery which was in Chestnut Hill outside of Boston when I lived there. Rosie would put her chocolate frosting on these - pretty rich made with semi sweet chocolate, evaporated milk, and sugar. I made these for a friend for her birthday and then for her family for various occasions. I even adapted it into a wedding cake for her wedding. The wedding cake had whipped cream instead of frosting. I tend to make them without frosting as my wife thinks that puts them too over the top. And speaking of Rosie's I found an old blog post about her whole grain, olive oil, chocolate chip cookiesblog post about her whole grain, olive oil, chocolate chip cookiesblog post about her whole grain, olive oil, chocolate chip cookies. They sound good but unfortunately there is no recipe. Still I thought it might inspire BA as she is always looking for recipes with whole grains and without butter.

I was also thinking a little more about mixes and thought about all the discussions we've had about finding ingredients and how it is becoming harder and more expensive every day to keep my pantry stocked without breaking the bank. It would be so much easier and probably less expensive to buy a box of something when I want to bake it.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Saturday I made sandwich buns, not my usually recipe, a simple recipe involving bread flour, whole wheat, water, yeast, sugar salt and a little olive oil.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.