Sun. Sep 27th, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,816 through 1,830 (of 2,649 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20443
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      The maple syrup I have is labeled as "Grade A dark color with robust taste". When I've made Chewy Maple Cookies with it (also using the maple flavoring sold by KAF in place of the vanilla) the flavor is great. That is the cookie I always get compliments on. I also add some rolled oats to it to firm up the dough a little.

      I made my usual semolina/rye/wheat sandwich buns yesterday topped with KAF Everything Bagel topping. While doing so, I noticed that some of my KAF baking supplies are low and I just missed out on a free shipping offer. But, I know those offers are like busses, if you wait long enough another one will come along. If I recall, they usually have an offer around Valentines Day, I can wait that long.

      in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 14, 2020 #20419
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        I knew this one! Although most people still refer to it as a fifth, the liquor industry (distilled spirits) went metric in the late 70's (if I recall correctly), what we are getting now is a 750 ml. 750 ml is real close to a fifth, about 25.4 ounces v 25.6. Not much difference to the consumer but I imagine it amounts to many extra bottles for the producers. Also, what used to be a quart is now a liter, which is slightly larger than a quart.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 12, 2020? #20397
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I made Chicken Thigh Fricassee and had it with rice and peas.

          in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 13, 2020 #20386
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I got it too. Raw fish or seafood should only be used as bait to catch bigger fish.

            Joan, I think it's often used in sushi. My feelings on sushi is, well, see my post about bait. 🙂

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 12, 2020? #20383
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I had chicken veggie soup and a burger.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? #20346
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                Yesterday I made stuffed shells and had it with leftover pork roast.

                Tonight I'm going to have rotisserie chicken, left over whipped sweet potato and red cabbage.

                For breakfast I made blueberry compote and pancakes. I make my compote in a way that most of the berries remain whole. I take about 25% of them in a pan with a little sugar and a tablespoon of water, after it heats up a little I mash them as best I can and let them simmer for a couple of minutes, then I fold in the remaining berries and heat them through, a slow simmer for a minute and then that's it. And a splash of fresh lemon juice.

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 9, 2020 #20317
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  I missed it but I follow the method I saw on Martha Stewart some years ago. You put the eggs in the pan with cold water, about 1 inch over the eggs, bring it to a boil and then remove it from the heat and cover it. Hard cooked takes 13 minutes but I don't remember the times for medium or soft. Also, I am not interested in any boiled egg that isn't well done, undercooked egg whites are not compatible with me. The advantage is the whites will be tender and never rubbery and there will never be a green hue on the outside of the yolk.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of January 5, 2020? #20308
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    Yesterday I made a small pork roast. Tonight I had a pork roast sandwich and whipped sweet potato.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 5, 2020? #20307
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      Just the usual, I made sandwich buns this afternoon, they were done just in time for dinner.

                      in reply to: Cinnamon Baking Chips #20266
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        Save yourself some time and put "baking chips" in the search bar.

                        Mike, it looks like the chips on the Hershey site are the same chips on Amazon. The prices are similar, although not exactly the same. I don't know if Hershey charges for shipping but the chips are free shipping on Amazon for Prime members. Of course, there are other nifty things on the Hershey site that you might not find elsewhere. And you probably don't have to worry about freshness if you buy them from Hershey.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 29, 2019? #20241
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          I prepared chicken meatballs (pre made, frozen), made sauce from canned San Marzano tomatoes. Had it with Ziti.

                          in reply to: Holiday afterthoughts #20240
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I hope you guys enjoyed yourselves, Mike. My neighbors sister lives in Hawaii and she comes over here for about 3 weeks every winter because she misses getting cold.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of December 29, 2019? #20219
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              I had rotisserie chicken, I made whipped sweet potato and Brussels sprouts.

                              in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 3, 2020 #20216
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                I really hadn't heard of it either but got it by elimination.

                                in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 2, 2020 #20209
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  I had never heard of that family before but was able to figure it out.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,816 through 1,830 (of 2,649 total)