What are you Cooking the week of November 3, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 3, 2019?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Tonight we had BBQ chicken in the pot with BBQ gravy over mashed potatoes and creamed corn.

skeptic7
      Participant

I did Maple-Rum pudding but left out the rum. This was from "The Cookbook Decoder", it was a very simple recipe 2 egg yolks, 2 cups milk, 6 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/2 cup maple syrup. I had the egg yolks left over from a low fat cake recipe and needed to find a use for them. This was very good and simple. I was stirring constantly but its still slightly lumpy.

skeptic7
        Participant

Baker Aunt;
          What does your black bean pumpkin soup taste like? The recipe looks fascinating.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight I used a quarter of the chicken I boiled yesterday and made chicken salad, we had beets and a green salad with crackers also.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Friday, I roasted a small “peanut” pumpkin—the only one I was able to buy at the farmers market this fall. The growers’ field was attacked by mice, and their pumpkin of choice was the peanut pumpkin. It needed to sit for a while to get its orange color. It was small enough that I cut it horizontally rather than vertically and roasted it in my larger Calphalon roaster.

On Friday, I also made chicken broth with the remains of the rotisserie chicken we ate earlier in the week.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Skeptic--the main flavor of the black bean soup is the black beans, but the cumin has a nice blending with the beef stock and the tomatoes. The pumpkin doesn't really come through for me. If you make the soup, you might want to make a half recipe, as it makes a lot.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My wife found a recipe for black bean soup on the Bush's Beans site that was pretty good, though she left out the chili powder.

Black Bean Soup

We did decide it was missing one ingredient, carrots. So I made some carrot puree and that added the missing flavor and a little sweetness. Pumpkin would probably play a similar role in building up the flavor profile.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Today I baked a roast,potatoes,carrots and onion for several hours,good and tender.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Saturday dinner was Salmon and Couscous with Penzey’s Greek Seasoning. I also microwaved the contents of one of the bags of green bans that I froze this summer. The beans were good, so I’m glad I took the time to freeze several packets. I've added the result to the "Freezing Green Beans" thread.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I just did pumpkin macaroni and cheese. No real recipe I just started heating up 1/2 cup or so of leftover pumpkin puree, added cheese and peas and then after the chees was melted stirred in the cup of cooked macaroni. Beautiful color and had the comforting quality peculiar to mac and cheese.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made hamburger stroganoff, to use some ground beef that was getting near its use by date, some mushrooms I bought a few days ago for something I never got around to making, some beef stock from the freezer, some tomato sauce from the garden that I had defrosted a few days ago, and the noodles I didn't use in the lasagna a few weeks back that I had stuck in the freezer. I did have to buy some sour cream as I didn't have quite enough.

Came out pretty good.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Saturday I made a pork roast and acorn squash stuffed with an apple. Instead of chopping up the apple like I used to do, I just cored it and popped it into the squash. Sprinkled some brown sugar with cinnamon in the apple. Came out pretty good.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.